Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using 236 skyris as a autoguider

Just about to start guiding..got my guidescope etc but looking at my skyris there isnt a st4 port to conect to the mount...i have the cable to conect it via usb port on laptop but dont know how its conected to the mount...anyone have any suggestions..will be using PHD2 hopefully

On the pull down menu there should be a mount option for Celestron. See attached screen grab from my computer.

You will need to download the ASCOM software that gets everything speaking to each other.

Download the 6.2 ASCOM Platform here

http://www.ascom-standards.org/

And then download the Celestron Unified Telescope Drive which you can find by clicking on downloads tab and then the telescope tab (left hand column.

Untitled.jpg

Skyris cable straight into laptop using one usb port.   Separate cable linking the laptop with the mount using another USB port (via the handset - it plugs in the bottom using a telephone type connector.  Handset plugged into mount as per normal.

R

14 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The normal cable path is camera > laptop usb port (PHD2), usb port > autoguider > mount. PHD2 sends signals back to the mount using an autoguider. The autoguider is connected to the laptop using a usb cable and to the mount using a ST4 cable.

Autoguider manual

Theres not guide port on a skyris..

6 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Theres not guide port on a skyris..

The camera is connected to the laptop using a USB cable. PHD2 monitors the target star drift and then sends signals back to the mount via the autoguider interface and ST4 cable. Dedicated guide cameras have the guider built into them so you only need a single usb cable from the camera to the laptop and a ST4 cable from the camera to the mount. The single usb cables sends images back to the laptop from the camera and then corrective commands back to the mount via the guide port from PHD2. Because the Skyris doesn't have the ST4 port you need to use two usb connections, one cable from the camera to laptop and another from laptop to mount via the autoguider. The autoguider is required to provide an optically isolated connection between the laptop and mount so that there is no direct electrical connection between the laptop and mount.

Archived