Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Skipper Billy

WANTED - artificial star

They sell small round magnets on E-Bay with a counter sunk hole in the centre for a screw, buy a small Ball Bearing and place it on the magnet stick the magnet on a nail knocked into a distance tree and when you shine a light at it, you will get your Star....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tinker1947 said:

They sell small round magnets on E-Bay with a counter sunk hole in the centre for a screw, buy a small Ball Bearing and place it on the magnet stick the magnet on a nail knocked into a distance tree and when you shine a light at it, you will get your Star....

Yup, the magnet idea is new to me but is a good one. I have always sprayed a lidless cardboard box matt black on the inside and glued the BB to it, but the BB itself is an optical classic and still used in professional workshops. I had a tour of Dany Cardoen's workshop in Puimichel last year and there was the illuminated ballbearing in all its glory!

Olly

Sign in to follow this