Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

IC 1396 and Elephant Trunk Nebula - Narrow Band

Like most fortunate enough to be able to image through the clear nights of the past week I captured some of the best data of my time in this hobby.
I focussed on IC 1396 and the Elephant Trunk nebula imaging it in both narrow band and LRGB
I posted my first effort on this object after an hour of data in each channel of Ha, Oiii and Sii.
This final process contains 2 hours in each channel / bias-flat-darks / processed in PixInsight with no tools used except HistogramTransformation, CurvesTransformation and SCNR...no noise reduction.
I'm going to process a bi-colour example then move on to the data I captured on the Wizard Nebula :-)

These are very low resolution screenshots - full resolution can be seen on my website.

David

ICON_IC1396_Ha_161130_65_ASI1600_23x5min_g139_FinalHa.pngICON_IC1396_HaOiiSii_161130_65_ASI1600_75x5min_g139.png

Congrats on the data - always feels good when you not only capture it but everything lines up and you get that good data.  Images look good too with nice content and processing.  

Paddy

4 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Congrats on the data - always feels good when you not only capture it but everything lines up and you get that good data.  Images look good too with nice content and processing.  

Paddy

Thanks for your help showing me how to create the SHO version Paddy! :-)

I've done another version with noise reduction using ATWT in PixInsight which has made a big difference. I'm going to load it up to its own page on my site for a high res version.

Thanks again

David

Will pop by and take a look - happy I could help no secrets in what I do so always happy to share.  Be interesting to see how ATWT worked for you not one at the top of my list.  Let me know when there as cannot see it yet.

Paddy

1 hour ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Will pop by and take a look - happy I could help no secrets in what I do so always happy to share.  Be interesting to see how ATWT worked for you not one at the top of my list.  Let me know when there as cannot see it yet.

Paddy

I've uploaded the 88mb hi resolution image now Paddy - just hover over it and the link appears in the lower part of the screen.

As for ATWT I tried it because I was having trouble with TGVDenoise - Harry Page was discussing it with one of the guys from PI on some link I followed - I tried their settings (below) and it worked great.

Hope that helps

Seeing this image at hi-res is like going out without your makeup on LOL....if I wore make up ...which I don't of course...but if I did...LOL

David

ATWT.PNG

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, David_L said:

I've uploaded the 88mb hi resolution image now Paddy - just hover over it and the link appears in the lower part of the screen.

As for ATWT I tried it because I was having trouble with TGVDenoise - Harry Page was discussing it with one of the guys from PI on some link I followed - I tried their settings (below) and it worked great.

Hope that helps

Seeing this image at hi-res is like going out without your makeup on LOL....if I wore make up ...which I don't of course...but if I did...LOL

David

Thanks for the info - will review what my current settings are and compare.

The image looks nice and very tidy well done.

On the make up - well I was convinced and then the ramble, hmmm :) 

Paddy

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By knobby
      Slowly dabbling with narrow band and the processing that is becoming more like art than science 🙂
      I really am enjoying it though, Imaged this in my red zone back garden last night, it's 10 x  300 secs each of Ha Oiii and Sii ( no darks as they looked weird )
      Thanks for looking / feedback.
      DSS - Photoshop levels / curves - gradient xterminator - photoshop channel combine as per @swag72 tutorial - photoshop levels to balance colours to my taste - slight noise and star size reduction  (Noels tools)

• By Lead_weight
      I shot this over 6 nights. We had an amazing go of clear nights in a row. Now it's all rain until next week. But while it was clear, I managed two nights per filter on my newest scope. A total of ~ 760 3 min images. I think the total imaging time was 37.8 hours. Shot it through my newest scope the RedCat 51mm. It did well, but could have used a belt focuser. I managed to get one together from Moonlite, but only just after imaging this. The scope was able to hold focus a good bit of the night, but the quality curve looked like a swan dive towards the end as the scope lost focus at the end of the night each night. I got out my old trusty AVX to manage the aiming parts of the setup. Guided by an old Orion SSAG I had lying around and a recently acquired ZWO Mini guide scope since it matches the RedCat so well. But I think I'm going to need to swap out the guide cam for something with smaller pixels. Overall though, it worked.  Main camera was ZWO ASI 1600 MMC. I used 5nm Astrodon filters.

• By RolandKol
      Recently I decided to open up my wallet widely and go Narrowband...
      And before my set up comes, I decided to check how to process NB images.
      Plus,
      The last half a year was mostly cloudy so I started playing around with Hubble TelescopeRaw Images
      If someone will decide to kill some cloudy evenings in the same manner, 
      Hubble Telescope raw images are freely available on Hubble Legacy Archive https://hla.stsci.edu
      And please also share your results on this forum.
      My first pancake below - "Pilar of Creation" (part of it)   combined in Pixinsight.
      (M16-P1 - [Used Images: hst_10393_13_acs_wfc_f658n_sci  &  f502n_sci])
      P.S. Raw  Hubble Images are sooooo ugly... I was very, VERY pessimistic about my experiment initially

• By Xiga
      Hey guys
      I shot my 1st full Bi-Colour NB image back in October/November of 2017. It was the Elephant Trunk Nebula, and at the time i remember having a hard time processing it to my own satisfaction. 
      Fast-forward 5 months and, well the weather is bloomin awful, lol, and the nights are now short, so i thought i would re-visit this in the hope i could do better now that i have a bit more PP experience under the belt. 
      The main differences this time (apart from rotating the image to frame it differently) are, RGB combination was done in APP rather than PS. The OIII signal was also given an x2 multiplier to help boost it (this meant i didn't have to give it a big manual stretch in PS). No HLVG has been done at all this time, as i now prefer to leave the Green in, as i think it adds more depth to an image, as long as it's not excessive. This has made a big difference i feel, as from memory i think i really went to town on removing the Green in the original version, and subsequently everything came out brown as a result. I also went with a smaller stretch overall compared to last time, although i did up the Vibrance quite a bit in the new version (i couldn't help myself). Overall though, compared to the original the new version has had a LOT less processing done to it. Whether that shows (or even helps) i'm not completely sure. 
      Still not 100% sure it's the best version of itself it can be, but overall i am much happier with the result. I actually didn't do any sharpening at all in this one, so i could possibly do something there. 
      C&C most welcome please. Have i gone overboard on anything? I had a hard time getting the overall brightness to a level i was happy with. When i thought i had it right, i looked at it the next day at work and on my phone and it looked way too dark, so i ended up cranking it up several notches as a result. 
      7 x 600s and 14 x 900s of Ha
      17 x 900s of OIII
      (just shy of 9 hrs in total).
      50 Bias and 30 Flats
      Combined as SHO. The SII was synthesized from a blend of 30% Ha and 70% OIII. 
      Taken with the usual gear: Nikon D5300a and SW 80ED scope on a HEQ5 Pro mount. 
      Captured with SGPro, pre-processed with APP and post-processed with PS.
      Here's a link to the original thread:
      And the latest version:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.