Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Manchester

The Alleged

Hi,

I'm Tom, completely new to Astronomy although I've always been interested in space flight, the night sky etc. I recently started attending a local astronomy group and bought my first (2nd hand) telescope a week ago following loads of invaluable advice from that group.

I wanted to say hello and thank you to everyone on this wonderful website. Every time I've googled something concerning buying a telescope or anything observing-related, I always ended up reading a post on this site! So, having "lurked" on here for a few weeks thought I'd join up, say hello and thanks as I begin this fascinating new hobby.

Now, if only these Manchester clouds would clear...

Tom

Hi MZ,

I got a Skywatcher 130P on EQ2.

Via this forum I saw a link to http://www.astro-baby.com/ - a lady returning to astronomy after a break. She'd bought the 130p (albeit a motorised version) and seemed perfectly happy with it. I thought if it was good enough for her it'd be fine for my purposes. I'd like to have a look at planets, a little of deep space objects and generally mooch around. So I reckoned this would do as a decent starter for me.

I was going to get a 150p but thought it might not be as portable as I wanted. Following the view that "the best telescope is the one you use", I reckoned I'd be more likely to get this out and use it often. Also, if I don't take to observing, having bought it used, I could probably recoup my outlay anyway. Assuming I do progress, it'd be a good one to learn on (collimating etc?) and when I move to something bigger and better it'd be worth keeping as a more portable option for holidays etc. I deliberately avoided go-to because I'd like to learn my way around the night sky - not been too successful so far though!

Good luck with whatever you get, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Tom

Hi Tom and welcome to SGL from up the road in Bury.

Waiting for a clear night can be infuriating but it is worth it. Make sure you are familiar with your scope before you go out into the darkness - practice assembling the mount and scope indoors, make sure you align the finder scope (during the day) and if you are not familiar with polar aligning then check it out on this forum!

Have fun and let us know how you get on!

Dan :happy7:

Archived