SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Astrophotography photo

I made a promise, albeit trivial promise to myself to post my first picture taken when i got my first ever setup. it's not my first true photo as i had no idea how to work the camera at first but its my best photo from my first session taken the other night. It's a picture of Pleiades i think taken the other night. has very slight post-processing (still getting the hang of it) and just one frame. If anyone has any tips i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Exposure - 8s

Focal Length - 55mm

ISO - 1600

Aperture - f/5.6

Setup i used - 

Camera - Canon 100d

Tripod - Zomei Z818

Lens - Canon Kit Lens 18-55mm

IMG_7875.jpg

Looks like focus is quite good that can be tough. You have some trailing but that is to be expected 400/55 is less than 8 seconds. I say keep going take more and have a go with stacking, you'll need dss 3.3.4. also have a play with star trails starstax will combine the images for you. Great to have started.

6 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Looks like focus is quite good that can be tough. You have some trailing but that is to be expected 400/55 is less than 8 seconds. I say keep going take more and have a go with stacking, you'll need dss 3.3.4. also have a play with star trails starstax will combine the images for you. Great to have started.

thanks for the advice. I did about 10 frames of the same thing, unguided obviously and tried to play around with stacking but to no avail for the moment. To be honest i tried with 8 seconds at first then saw it on the camera and looked amazing so i panicked and just did a lot of them until i zoomed in and saw the trail. 

Wide field indeed!  Here's an annotated version from Astrometry.net, which says:

Calibration

Center (RA, Dec): (53.380, 29.529)
Center (RA, hms): 03h 33m 31.111s
Center (Dec, dms): +29° 31' 43.133"
Size: 16 x 24.1 deg
Radius: 14.461 deg
Pixel scale: 57.8 arcsec/pixel
Orientation: Up is 155 degrees E of N

IMG_7875_Annotated.jpeg

Great start, it's a good feeling when you get your first DSO.

As said, stacking is the way to go, take as many exposures as you can and dont be afraid to up the ISO to 3200, this will make more stars visible which will help when stacking.

Another tip, i posted this for a new imager earlier today, it's what got me started on the right foot when all i had was a camera and tripod.

That's a good start

Stacking is definitely the way to go, it brings out more stars. More images will mean more detail.

This is one of mine from the other night when I was experimenting with technique and lenses. I just pointed it upwards and got part of Orion. It's taken with an equivalent setup, except it's ten images at ISO 3200 stacked in DeepSkyStacker.

Technical bit - Nikon D3100, 18-55 kit lens at 55mm, 10 images at ISO3200, 6 second exposure. Stars are slightly elongated, so next attempt will be 5 second exposures.

1.png

Archived