Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first horse head no guiding!

22 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

very beautiful!! Your camera must be modified, right? Really nice color in both the flame and the horse nebula!
Very nice first attempt!

Victor Boesen

No not modified at all just a box standard 550d. In fact it used! Yes I'm pleased with it. I refuse to get a autoguider until I've go the maximum out of what I have. 

21 hours ago, MARS1960 said:

Excellent first attempt, my first was a big fat awful mess.

What exposure did you use and how many frames?

Yes I should have added those. They were 

21 hours ago, MARS1960 said:

Excellent first attempt, my first was a big fat awful mess.

What exposure did you use and how many frames?

Yes I should have added those. It was 27 frames of 180 seconds. I lost 3 and 8 dark frames. That was it. No filters just a very clear night and very late too! 

20 hours ago, cjdawson said:

Details please.

What scope, exposure time, other settings did you use?

How did you process the image afterwards?

The image looks good.

Yes of course. I'm using a Skywatcher 150pds on a eq6 with Canon 550d NOT modified.

Exposure times was 27 frames of 180 seconds and 8 darks. The stacking I did in DSS the processing which was only a little I did after I converted the tiff file to png and did it in Lightroom. It's the only one I have so I don't know if the other processing softwares could do it better. 

Glad you like it. Me too!

7 minutes ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

did it in Lightroom. It's the only one I have so I don't know if the other processing softwares could do it better. 

I find Lightroom great for final touches, particular working on colour. However, I don't think it has the power to really stretch an image well compared to the likes of Photoshop/Gimp or dedicated astro software.

5 hours ago, Filroden said:

I find Lightroom great for final touches, particular working on colour. However, I don't think it has the power to really stretch an image well compared to the likes of Photoshop/Gimp or dedicated astro software.

Well I'll have to try it on this picture then. Is there a particular photoshop that's needed? Gimp? Please enlighten me. Is this what people use? 

21 minutes ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Well I'll have to try it on this picture then. Is there a particular photoshop that's needed? Gimp? Please enlighten me. Is this what people use? 

So Adobe Photoshop is an (expensive) image manipulation software. Gimp (https://www.gimp.org/) is a free equivalent and is used by many. There are also many dedicated astro-didicated image manipulation software, some with free trial versions such as StarTools (http://www.startools.org/). I think all three have many YouTube tutorials dedicated to them. 

That said, your image is very good. I'd only want to boost its contrast/saturation a little.

Archived