Vixen GP worm grease

cuivenion

I've just regreased the dec axis of my Vixen GP with LM2 lithium grease as it was quite stiff to turn. However this grease is unsuitable for the worm gear. I've read this in another post:

“About types of grease, silicon grease of high viscosity (like clear, glutinous malt-sugar) is used for worm gears. Car axle oil mixed with silicon grease (like jelly) is used for RA axis shaft and DEC axis shaft.”

Can anyone recommend a silicone grease of high viscosity? I've tried googling but I'm getting all sorts of results, and its not easy to sort the wheat from the chaff. To be honest if anyone can recommend the greases for the shaft that would be great as well, but it's the worm gears I'm really concerned with.

I have a Vixen GP mount which I stripped down, cleaned and regreased. I used the grease you get with a car CV boot replacement kit. I got this free from my local garage. It is lithium grease but it is grey. The mount is now buttery smooth and due to the high revolutions of the CV joint should be suitable for the worms. So far it seems to be working very well.

Archived