Celestron Firstscope

Hi,

Just picked one of these up while I was out shopping with the o/h spotted it in the window of a shop discounted. This is my first scope I have ever bought, looked online before I got it and it did get mixed reviews so I wasn't expecting much from it. I have picked up the accessory pack with the finder scope etc. Now I'm completely new to this and there is only a few things I can spot in the sky with out using an app. I am a bit disappointed in what I can see with it, am I missing something ? I appreciate it's a cheap scope aimed at getting started but is there anything that it would actually be worth looking at ? which eye pieces should I be using with it ?

Thanks.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they have a 20mm eyepiece included. It should give 15x magnification. You should be able to sweep star fields with that. The Celestron version may have a 4mm eyepiece as well. It will give 75x, which may work well viewing the Moon. I have the Sky-Watcher equivalent of this scope. Try Venus setting in the afternoon with the 20mm eyepiece, you may just see the phase. I wouldn't expect much from the scope though. 

The night sky is big! I think most of us use some form of maps, whether they are apps on a phone, Stellarium on a laptop, or traditional printed sky atlases. Little by little try to learn the main constellations and the brighter stars, and these will serve as references.

Don't expect stupendous views with the Firstscope - but you will be able to see a lot. Have a look at this very basic guide: carolrpt.com/astroguidev9complete.pdf  or, with more detail www.iasindy.org/documents/astronomy101/IFAS%20Binocular%20Handbook.pdf

Yes - it is listed by Celestron as being supplied with a 20mm and 4mm eyepiece, for 15X & 75X, respectively.

You might find the manual to be useful:

Celestron FirstScope Manual.pdf

It should work as a decent introduction to reflector telescopes and their use. Just don't be disappointed by comparing what it will show you, while visions of the Hubble Space Telescope images dance in your mind. We'll be here when you have questions. And don't be afraid to ask - finding answers is why we're here!

Welcome to SGL, you have come to a very good place for all-things-astronomy!

Starry Skies,

Dave

I'm currently only using it in my back garden but there isn't much light pollution as there are no street lamps or many other house lights from my back garden. it is also south facing which helps.

What would be a good next scope on from this ? Just been looking at the OneSky 130.

My first scope was the Skywatcher Heritage 130P, which was a great choice and never fails to get good reviews on here. Very portable, nice optics, nice price. (In fact, looking at the One Sky it seems very similar).

If you're feeling a little mere ambitious then what about a 150mm Dobsonian? Will set you back under £200 and keep you going for years.

Hi SAW, My current scope is a Celestron 114 LCM 4.5 inch reflector ( another newbie here! :happy11: ) and I LOVE it! Computerized Go To mount, 111x magnification with a 9mm eyepiece, good for astrophotography, fantastic for planetary viewing, OK for DSO observing but it's mount is quite poor. But for 380 euro it's a great scope!

Clear skies and welcome to SGL!

Adam

The SkyOne 130 is a good telescope in it's class, specially offered by Astronomy Without Borders, an outreach charity, in a collaboration with Celestron but I don't know if it's available in the UK - and it's currently out of stock at AWB. However, it is basically the same as the Skywatcher Heritage 130 - both Skywatcher and Celestron are brands ultimately owned by the same big Chinese company, Synta.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

It is certainly a big step up from the Firstscope, and the Heritage has a considerable following here on the forums, both as a starter telescope and as a very portable grab-and-go telescope for more experienced users. However, I would second Billyharris72 in his suggestion of the 150mm Dob: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

The extra aperture (150 v 130mm) and longer focal length will both make for appreciably better observing if your first experiences are encouraging you to do more!

My only concern with the Skyliner 150 is it's size but I'm sure it would be a massive improvement over my Firstscope !

Also would a go to be better for starting out as I won't have to find things manually.

Can I also use the Celestron Ultimate Duo Eyepiece Smartphone adaptor on the Skyliner 150 or any Celectron go to scope ?

41 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

Synta Technology Corporation is Taiwanese.

Mak is quite right, the overall company is legally registered and has head offices in Taiwan, but the primary manufacturing subsidiary is now the Suzhou Synta Optical Technology Co., Ltd based in China. What I don't really understand is whether Synta is a Taiwanese company which uses China for production (technically, yes) or whether Synta is really a Chinese operation which uses Taiwan as its marketing link to the world (effectively, yes).

26 minutes ago, SAW said:

Also would a go to be better for starting out as I won't have to find things manually.

This is a long debate which ultimately comes down to your personal preference. I enjoy the hunt and in the process, feel I learn more abut the sky. The other way round is that seeing interesting objects more quickly with a Goto, leads you on to want to see more. What is certain, however, is that Goto adds a sizeable cost to a telescope set-up. A 150mm reflector on a basic Dobsonian mount costs just over 200 pounds, while the same (or similar) on an Alt-Az Goto will cost about 380 pounds or more.

39 minutes ago, SAW said:

Can I also use the Celestron Ultimate Duo Eyepiece Smartphone adaptor on the Skyliner 150 or any Celectron go to scope ?

As this attaches to the eyepiece, you can use it on any telescope which will take 1.25 inch diameter eyepieces. I don't know this particular adapter and whether you are limited to using it only with Celestron's Ultimate Duo eyepieces - just took a look on Amazon and it shows it fixed to a Celestron X-Cel!

An image comparing the Celestron FirstScope to a 114mm f/4 tabletop and a 150mm f/8 Dobsonian...

http://www.rocketroberts.com/astro/images/three_dobs.jpg

I would recommend not going below f/5 in a reflector for visual use, with eyepieces.

Go-to systems are costly, and therefore eat up a good portion of an outlay for a kit; for example...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150p.html

In the following example, the cost and quality of the go-to mount and the telescope are more balanced...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

A 150mm f/5 Newtonian is most versatile, and in observing the gamut; most everything in the night sky, with magnifications ranging from 19x and 23x up to 300x and beyond, the latter albeit under better and ideal seeing conditions.  I have a 150mm f/5 Newtonian, and on a motorised EQ3-class equatorial; albeit modified, and without go-to.  Tracking only...

6 f5 kitb.jpg

I can observe at low-power and high-power, from scanning the Milky Way to observing the planets and the Trapezium of Orion.  With it, you can fit the Pleiades in its entirety within the field-of-view of a 1.25" ocular, and pan across the expanse of the galaxy in Andromeda in moments, if not a second.

Indeed, I've found the 150mm f/5 to be most observationally versatile, and a very good simulation of an equally-versatile 130mm f/6 refractor.

You can also combine, customise, an ideal kit...

An equatorial... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-2-deluxe.html

A single motor-drive for the RA-axis... http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-ra-motor-drive-for-eq3-2-with-multi-speed-handset.html

...and either a 130mm f/5 or 150mm f/5 Newtonian...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-ota.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-ota.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ota.html

The models with a "DS" suffix come equipped with two-speed focussers, and for finer focussing.  They are also suitable for imaging; astrophotography.

If you'd rather not deal with an equatorial, then a manual alt-azimuth...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/skywatcher-az4-alt-az-mount.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/skywatcher-skytee-2-alt-azimuth-mount.html

Then there's this...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/sky-watcher-star-discovery-az-goto-mount.html

...and with this... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-ota.html

The 150P-DS would be too bulky and heavy for that go-to mount however.

11 hours ago, SAW said:

My only concern with the Skyliner 150 is it's size but I'm sure it would be a massive improvement over my Firstscope !

Another thought / recommendation here. It seems lilke you only purchased the First Scope about 2 weeks ago. Why not stick with it for a while - use it for a few months and see what it shows you? That will let you learn the ropes and give you a better idea if this is a hobby you want to spend more money on. It will also give you a much better idea of what you personally want from the scope, whether goto is important to you or you'd rather have aperture etc.

On the other hand, given the time of year, it may be that Santa is involved. In which case I can see the logic of jumping mre quickly.

Mak is quite right, the overall company is legally registered and has head offices in Taiwan, but the primary manufacturing subsidiary is now the Suzhou Synta Optical Technology Co., Ltd based in China. What I don't really understand is whether Synta is a Taiwanese company which uses China for production (technically, yes) or whether Synta is really a Chinese operation which uses Taiwan as its marketing link to the world (effectively, yes).

Yeah lol, it's a mystery!

Personally, I always thought Synta, like GSO, was Taiwanese.

" Personally, I always thought Synta, like GSO, was Taiwanese. "

I'd check the laws of both, regarding the tax-rates on international - commerce. That which takes the least likely is it's legal address.

Either Synta, or GSO - they both make some quite respectable glass and machined doo-dads.

My best to you,

Dave

Thanks for all your help so far.

I have been using my Firstscope as much as I can (weather permitting) I have been observing the moon over the last few nights and quite impressed with it. Not that impressed with Mars but wasn't expecting much with this scope. I have bought the accessory pack for it which has added the finder scope and a couple more eye pieces. not really sure what else I can or should be viewing with this little scope ?

Yeah your only currently collecting light onto a 76mm obstructed mirror, and a low quality Spherical mirror at that, the parabolic mirrors of larger scopes will give better views. Still having said this it will show you more than your naked eyes such as craters on the Moon, the moons of Jupiter, and maybe even a glimps of Saturns rings and the phases of Venus. It shouls also show you plenty more stars than you can see with the naked eye :) 

I've owned the 100p Version which was good for it's size, but in terms of upgrade I would start with at least the Heritage 130p because it has a higher quality parabolic mirror and much more light grasp. You'll be able to see more detail on the planets and moon, plus brighter deep sky objects like globular clusters, and planetary nebulae, even some of the brightest galaxies such as M31, M82 and M81. The 130p will also be able to show you some nice open clusters in more detail.

The 150p/200p Dob's would be even better if you have the space i.e. a dry shed, or a spare room?

3 minutes ago, SAW said:

Thanks for all your help so far.

I have been using my Firstscope as much as I can (weather permitting) I have been observing the moon over the last few nights and quite impressed with it. Not that impressed with Mars but wasn't expecting much with this scope. I have bought the accessory pack for it which has added the finder scope and a couple more eye pieces. not really sure what else I can or should be viewing with this little scope ?

Try pointing it at the 'sword' under the main 3 belt stars of Orion, you should just about see the Great Orion Nebulae :) I believe this is rising in the south at the moment.

54 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

" Personally, I always thought Synta, like GSO, was Taiwanese. "

I'd check the laws of both, regarding the tax-rates on international - commerce. That which takes the least likely is it's legal address.

Either Synta, or GSO - they both make some quite respectable glass and machined doo-dads.

My best to you,

Dave

I'm pretty sure they're both Taiwanese companies that manufacture many products in China for reasons of economic competitiveness, like everyone else lol. I have a few GSO products that state quite clearly 'Made In Taiwan'. I even have a couple of TeleVue EP's that state the same.

1 hour ago, SAW said:

I think its just for the Celestron Ultima Duo eyepieces from reading the description.

Those eyepieces are here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-eyepieces/celestron-ultima-duo-eyepieces.html

They are a bit different from most other 1.25" eyepieces in that you can remove the eyecup to reveal a screw thread for attaching cameras, namely DLSR's I think? 

Now to address the telescope of the hour...

Your new telescope has an aperture of 76mm, a focal-length of an extraordinary 300mm, and the latter divided by the former at f/4.

Now, that is quite a low-power instrument, but there is a way to get that focal-length up to a simulated and workable 900mm...

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/altair-ex-3x-ed-barlow-lens-125-barrel.html

...or, 750mm...

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Revelation_Astro_2.5x_Barlow_Lens_1.25_.html#SID=564

Any eyepieces, barlows and other accessories that are purchased for the FirstScope can be used with successive telescopes in future.  Telescopes come and go, but the eyepieces and barlows are like luggage, and for life.

You have a total of four eyepieces: 20mm, 12.5mm, 6mm and 4mm, with two having come with the accessory pack.

With the native 300mm focal-length, the following magnifications are realised...

20mm: 15x, 12.5mm: 24x, 6mm: 50x, and 4mm: 75x

But the eye-lens of the 4mm must be awfully tiny to look through, yet the 12.5mm should have one large and comfortable enough, eh?  So, let's toss those two barlows at it...

With the 3x barlow combined with the 12.5mm, and for a simulated 4mm: 75x

With the 2.5x barlow and the 12.5mm, and for a simulated 5mm: 60x

The 3X with the 6mm, for a simulated 2mm: 150x.  Now we're getting somewhere.

The 2.5x with the 6mm, for a simulated 2.4mm: 125x.  Can't complain about that one, either.

My first telescope was no bigger than yours, and I used it on occasion for almost twenty years before I got my second.  Once you get the magnification, the power, up with a barlow, objects in the sky will appear closer and in greater detail. 

Enjoy!

Why is the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian so much bigger than say a Skywatcher Explorer 150 ? They are both reflectors aren't they :embarrassed:

What type should I be looking for as a good all rounder, refractor, reflector etc ?

Archived