Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Increasing the image size in the eye piece?

Phantom

Am new to astronomy so please bare with me, but when viewing Jupiter last night on my Mak 127mm i started out using the supplied 25mm eye piece to give a magnification of 60x the view i got was of the 4 moons and two bands on a small disc of Jupiter, the disc of Jupiter was about 3mm in diameter, I then switched to the supplied 10mm eye piece giving a magnification of 150x but the disc was not much if any bigger in the eye piece compared to the 25mm :? I would have thought increasing the magnification by that much would have provided me with a bigger image in the eye piece, am i doing something wrong and if so how do i make Jupiter appear bigger in the eye piece? I see people taking images with a 127mm Mak and they always look more impressive in size and detail than what I can achieve viewing.

Regards,

Phantom

You really can't compare what you can see with a scope visually to what you can capture photograpically. Todays imaging devices capture multiple images and layer them to show more detail and a bigger image scale than the eye can see.

With your Mak 127mm you could use more magnification to increase the size of Jupiters disk a bit more - theoretically your scope is capable of operating at up to 250x magnification although, 200-220x is a more practical proposition most of the time due to the vagaries in atmospheric conditions that we get in the UK.

Your 10mm eyepiece gives you 150x in your scope - try getting a 7mm eyepiece - that will give you 214x.

John

Archived