Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Stub Mandrel

NGC1333 Balrog Nebula & Dust Clouds

They said it couldn't be done!

I won't pretend this is perfect but it's 90% of 106 2 minute subs on as astro-modded Canon 450D DSLR using an EQ3 mount at a suburban location, and the transparency last night was poorer than the previous evening. NGC133 and its dust clouds are NOT supposed to be the sort of target you can get with this kit.

I know it isn't perfect and doesn't stand up to images with double-figure hours of narrowband subs, but it does have the dusty bits in the right places if compared to Olly's recent image. If I had 20 hours of subs at a dark sky site what would this image be looking like?

ngc1333.png

• Like 6

Knew you could do it :) and it's the sort of challenge that's going to have you addicted and adding more subs every clear night. 

• Like 1

I guess my name has some sticking power--"The Balrog Nebula"  Nice work for such short exposure.  GET MORE!

Rodd

Great image. You are certainly stretching the limits of this setup/mount. If your setup can handle it, try longer exposures. At the moment , you are close to stretching the noise.

If you have pixinsight, you can try chroma noise reduction using multiscalemediantransform with a lightness mask, protecting the stars and reflection nebula. This will kill the colour mottle in the dust, allowing you to stretch more. Just an idea.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Well done - but I haven't done this recently. Someone else, I suspect?

Olly

Someone did it!

I'm having a devil of a struggle to get a better result - every re-run shows less detail!

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

Someone did it!

I'm having a devil of a struggle to get a better result - every re-run shows less detail!

Was it Rodd?

Olly

6 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Was it Rodd?

Olly

That's who I got the name from, but I think someone else did it as well... maybe....

Methinks Olly is one of the culprits

But Rodd was in on it :icon_biggrin:

BTW, Neil, colour mottle (chromatic noise, whatever) is definitely your biggest enemy here. This is rather large scale noise that is mainly in the colour data (not much intensity variation).

As I wrote before, if you have PixInsight, you can kill it with the following procedure before stretching

Create a luminance mask by extracting the Luminance channel from the image. Stretch this with a histogram stretch

Apply the Luminance as a mask and invert (protect the stars and the bright nebula)

Open Multiscale Median Transform, and set the target as Chrominance (restore CIE Y)

MMT_Chroma.png

Hope this helps,

Thanks Wim, I'm afraid PI is bit far down my to-get list but I will do a reprocess using Noel's Colour Blotch Reduction which seems to to the same sort of thing and rather well.

• Like 1

That will probably do the trick as well.

Here's a quick before and after on a crop of your image. (Which isn't a good example of the capabilities of the process, since your image is 8 bit png and stretched already).

With more attention to mask generation, the colour loss in the red and the stars near the bright nebula would have been less. But it shows the general idea.

ngc1333_Before.png

ngc1333_After.png

• Like 1