Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGPro Workflow

Andyb90

Hi Everyone,

I've just started using SGPro and I'm interested to know what workflow people use with it.

For example do you find there is any need to do an initial alignment with other software or mount hand controller first or can the SGPro functions like Solve and Sync/blind solve automate the initial alignment.

I have the Framing and mosaic wizard as an add on and so intend to include that in my workflow.

Andy.

I had a first go on Monday using SGPro. My mount was setup as normal in the home position. 

I used the frame and mosaic wizard to lookup and frame the Rosette nebula (used ngc 2244). That worked fine and the target was added to my sequence. Next I used the auto center function having already setup platesolve2 as the plate solver.

The target/reference frame solved fine, but the camera frame failed to solve. I tried a few more times, but had the same issue. So I'm wondering should I be doing something like the following:

1. Solve and Sync blind with Astrometry.net.

2. Use the slew now function to move to the target.

3. Use the center now function to center the target precisely using platesolve2.

Andy.

Do you have a blind solver set as a fail safe? If your initial position is to far out your main solve software may not find it so you need to fail over to a blind solve, once that is found and a sync issued the next move/solve will be more accurate.

Also, for PlateSolve2 to work, you have to set up your pixel scale and sensor size etc, otherwise it has no idea what it is looking for. If that is all good, then you can use the view image button in platesolve2 to see if it has identified all the right stars - sometimes, saturated starts get missed and you need to tweak the settings a touch so it includes all the right stars for the solving process. Blind solve failover will work if you are on the interweb, however it will be slow. When working, PlateSolve2 is extremely quick...

4 hours ago, martin_h said:

Do you have a blind solver set as a fail safe? If your initial position is to far out your main solve software may not find it so you need to fail over to a blind solve, once that is found and a sync issued the next move/solve will be more accurate.

I could use Astrometry.net for a blind solve as I will have wifi access (or can install the local version). I think I can do a few tests with Astrometry.net using some old subs. That should give me an idea of how long it would take to blind solve. If that works okay I'll try solve and sync blind followed by a slew to the target before trying the auto center.

Andy.

2 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

I could use Astrometry.net for a blind solve as I will have wifi access (or can install the local version). I think I can do a few tests with Astrometry.net using some old subs. That should give me an idea of how long it would take to blind solve. If that works okay I'll try solve and sync blind followed by a slew to the target before trying the auto center.

Andy.

That'll work ok sometimes that what I do, just slew to a random bit of sky and do a blind solve/sync, then run the sequence, that way the initial slew is pretty much spot on and will solve easily.

But that is pretty much how it works from parked, slew to target solve - fail - blind solve/sync - move to target, solve sync center, repeat

I did a few test blind solves with some old subs of varying lengths and it worked pretty well. Took around 1 minute to solve them. I think that includes the upload time too. Will try this approach next session. I also read a couple of posts on other sites that recommended setting the following Platesolve2 parameters:

- "Max Star Size" parameter to 12
- "Detection Threshold" parameter to 8 or more

So I'll experiment a bit with those if I have any problems with the auto center after the blind solve and sync.

Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

I setup last night and the solve blind and sync worked with Astrometry.net. I did 1 sync then tried the center on target for the Rosette. I had a couple of errors on the final validation solve but then it worked. My mounts RA axis is a bit sticky so that probably caused the errors.

Overall was very straightforward getting centered.

Andy.

Archived