Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

observing eclipse's

algol

anyone know how to safely observe an eclipse, i know i mised this one but i didn't really know how to do it anyway.

i've heard projection methods etc. but not sure how to avoid damage to scope or me

Or you could knock something together like this :

IMG_3202.jpg

I mounted my 7x35 Binoculars on my tripod with a piece of card a little away, fixed by the simple expedient of attaching a ruler (With a hole in one end) between the binocular mount and tripod head and taping the card to the ruler. Took me less than 5 minutes to knock together. Only uncover one side of the bino tube, and if you not looking at the card, cover the objective. You can align using the minimum shadow cast technique. Move the tripod head around until the bino's are casting the smallest shadow onto the card, then uncover the objective you are using and you should see the sun on the card. I did this as I wanted to try and get some photo's of the various phases.

Archived