Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1st Iridium Flare

My wife had arranged a BBQ for some friends at our place last night.

The evening was very pleasant and there was some discussion about astronomy. I did'nt get any of the scopes out as acolhol was flowing freely and there were a few kiddies under the age of 5.

I thought I would check to see when the next iridium flare would be.

Checking with Heavens above a flare woul be at 23:14 (-7) and be visible in the West.

When I double checked the co-ords it would be right next to Arcturus.

I told everyone one at 11pm and we waited for the 15mins with expectation building.

Right on time the 'star' appeared to the south and then streaked across passing right in front of Arcturus.

Everyone was very impressed and wants to check the HA website to see more of these events.

Cheers

Ian

I did exactly the same thing at 11.15 last night! First IF, right next to Arcturus, mag -8. Was amazed on how accurate Heaven Aboves was - a nice bonus to a bit of observing on a very clear good seeing night in the Midlands!

Sounds like you had a great time Ian, new astronomers in the making then :D .

I see my first last week with some friends, the word is still going around about how fantastic IFs are, Jupiter etc, looks like a few more guests will be turning up for a peek.

It's definitely an eye opener for onlookers.

Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...

when I saw my first Irdium flare it was by accident and I was so impressed that I thought it was an UFO. Fortunately someone noticed that my description resembled strongly that of an I.f., so I know better now. Here are a few videos I have taken with my camcorder (sry for the shaking effects :hello2:):

Archived