Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pacman softy

gorann

RGB DSLR data from Sunday night. I have noticed this nebula is often processed rather hard, probably to delineate the Pacman shape, so I have tried to do it a bit differently, trying to get out more of the soft red nebulosity around it. I would love to add some Ha data to it one day.

ES 5" apo + Canon 60Da + EQ8. 29 x 6 min. Photoshop

Comments and suggestions most welcome

IMG2370-98PS13sign.jpg

Nice, you've done really well to pull out so much nebulosity with 6' subs.

Pacman is one of my favourites and the first nebula I imaged with my DSLR.  I went back and took Ha when I got a CCD but found that in narrowband the reflection Nebulosity in the middle is much harder to pull out.

I really like your processing of this,  the nebulosity in the centre is particularly well revealed.

You've probably started a trend towards processing this image differently :-)

David

Thank you D4N (DAN?)!

My sky was very good and dark (SQM=21.1) that night so I limited myself to 6 min subs. I will try longer ones another time. I have noticed that NB images look quite different and not necessarily better.

I now see Dartanian in this nebula rather than Pacman:

Skärmavbild 2016-11-29 kl. 21.33.10.png

9 minutes ago, David_L said:

I really like your processing of this,  the nebulosity in the centre is particularly well revealed.

You've probably started a trend towards processing this image differently :-)

David

Tanks David - that comment made my night!

• 1 month later...

Nice and soft, I like it. I also saw a portrait in it, before I scrolled down to d'Artagnan.

Personally, I would sharpen the bright parts just a little, to get the protrusions a little more distinct. But that's just my opinion.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, wimvb said:

Nice and soft, I like it. I also saw a portrait in it, before I scrolled down to d'Artagnan.

Personally, I would sharpen the bright parts just a little, to get the protrusions a little more distinct. But that's just my opinion.

Cheers,

So, here is a version with a bit more distinct protrusions

IMG2370-98PS15sign.jpg

Archived