Narrowband

Returning to the fold

Luke Inup

Hi folks.

For the last four years or so I have been  obliged to put Astronomy on the back burner, due to domestic upheavals on the health front.

Things are easier now, and I am hoping to to show my face a little more often. I have to get myself a decent refractor, as my old faithful doesn't really cut it; especially for astrophotography. It's a terrestrial 50mm Swift, bought from a Chemist's shop in Soho Road, Handsworth,in 1965, for the princely sum of £9.19s and sixpence! It shows Cassini's Division, when the rings are open,  and  gives clear views of Jupiter's bands , as well as the four main moons. (This is despite the fact that the draw-tube wobbles about like a banana thrown up an entry!) I reckon it's served me well, but later I 'll get off to the relevant forum for some basic advice.

It's nice to be back and I hope to be able to devote more time to my hobby.

So apologies for my absence, and here goes, now the dark nights are well and truly here!

Cheers.

John  (Luke Inup)   280.gif

Thanks everyone. 

I just decided to pitch straight in and buy a 'ready to go'  telescope. I ordered an Evostar EQ 3-2, 102mm and Equatorial Mount.

Sky-Watcher Evostar-90 (EQ2) Achromatic Refractor Telescope (10724) - Wex Photographic

It's not driven,  but I reckon it's all I need to refamiliarise myself with the heavens.  Patrick Moore used to say that a bog-standard 75mm (3 inch) refractor will keep you busy for a lifetime, so I think a four-inch will satisfy me.

Once I know I am here to stay, and if I am spared for long enough, (I am 77-78yrs BTW) I will start looking for a good, powered Equatorial mount, for this refractor. There are one or two I see within my pocket, so I can have fun with this present purchase,  whilst I save up my pennies!

I want to try my hand at Astrophotography', so I will also have to lose weight, get my BP down, and persuade the Doc to let me drive again, as my backyard skies are not the greatest from the light pollution pov!

Thanks again folks. I'll keep us posted.

John 280.gif

57 minutes ago, Luke Inup said:

Thanks everyone. 

I just decided to pitch straight in and buy a 'ready to go'  telescope. I ordered an Evostar EQ 3-2, 102mm and Equatorial Mount.

Sky-Watcher Evostar-90 (EQ2) Achromatic Refractor Telescope (10724) - Wex Photographic

It's not driven,  but I reckon it's all I need to refamiliarise myself with the heavens.  Patrick Moore used to say that a bog-standard 75mm (3 inch) refractor will keep you busy for a lifetime, so I think a four-inch will satisfy me.

Once I know I am here to stay, and if I am spared for long enough, (I am 77-78yrs BTW) I will start looking for a good, powered Equatorial mount, for this refractor. There are one or two I see within my pocket, so I can have fun with this present purchase,  whilst I save up my pennies!

I want to try my hand at Astrophotography', so I will also have to lose weight, get my BP down, and persuade the Doc to let me drive again, as my backyard skies are not the greatest from the light pollution pov!

Thanks again folks. I'll keep us posted.

John 280.gif

Good luck with getting the Doc on side But astro imaging can require very deep pockets

All the best

Robin

Thanks Robin..

Well I guess it's like anything else... There's always something we don't have, which we convince ourselves is the next necessity. I already have a decent camera, but I suppose the ideal is a Canon or a Nikon!   I'll complete my Christmas present then! :icon_santa:

John :happy7:

Welcome back to the hobby John, I've got the older blue version of the Evostar, and an undriven EQ3 mount, the OTA is surprisingly good and I've found the mount to be man enough for the OTA and a hefty DSLR or with a quite chunky Barlow Lens & 68 degree EP combo so I don't think you'll have anything but fun with it.

Best of luck, hope the health stays moving in the right direction and enjoy the views.

Clear Skies.

Hi John and welcome back. Sadly real life does get in the way of things for many of us and of course health concerns and their remedies are always going to be a priority.

Glad to hear that things are improving for you and hope that you can continue to enjoy your stay here.

Clear skies.

Always nice when someone returns to the Forum after an enforced absence.      Of course many reasons can force a necessary break.   I hope you can pick up yhe threads again,  and talk to your friends again.  But mostly,  enjoy the Astronomy too. Good. Luck with your new setup.                                                      Best Wishes. 

Archived