Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cleaning marks on eyepiece

elkorunsfast

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that optical tissues are often recommended, but having bought a pack myself I had similar issues to you.

I would recommend a microfibre cloth and some Baader Wonderfluid, works beautifully on eyepieces.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/baader-optical-wonder-fluid.html

Just make sure you remove any grit with a jetblower first.

+2 Also for Stu's advice. I cleaned 3 of my most used EP's yesterday with Baader Wonderfluid and cloth, after first blowing off then gently brushing any particles off the lens surface. Wetted the cloth on a small patch and cleaned the lens working to the centre of the EP, then wiping away any fluid with a dry part of the cloth very gently, again working towards the centre of the EP and not rubbing in circles. All came out like brand new. :) 

I use a "Rocket-Blaster®" first, then a few very gentle runs with a super-fine optical-brush - which I also blast with the blower first. Then use the fluid and microfiber-cloth (also blasted with the blower first).

Those blowers/blasters get a great deal of use here! :p

Carefully and Gently -

Dave

8 hours ago, elkorunsfast said:

Awesome! I will try that out. However, just to make sure, I can reuse microfibers, correct? I mean I just have to make sure to dust out the cloth to make sure its not dirty before using it correct?

Yes, make sure the cloth is nice and clean always before you do this. 

4 hours ago, YKSE said:

Yes, that's what I've done to mine too.

Yes, they wash fine, but be very sparing with detergent and rinse thoroughly several times. Allow to completely dry out overnight before using again.

I actually have two cloths and tend to use one for cleansing and the other for wiping, but the main thing is that they are cleaned regularly and don't use them for anything else. Also, NEVER squirt neat fluid onto a lens, it can leak between lens elements and is then impossible to remove without taking the eyepiece to bits!

Just squirt a small amount onto the cloth (holding the cloth well away from the eyepiece!). 

Finally, don't clean lenses too often. A few small specks of dust will not visibly affect the views.

HTH,

Dave

On 30/11/2016 at 04:00, Dave In Vermont said:

I use a "Rocket-Blaster®" first, then a few very gentle runs with a super-fine optical-brush - which I also blast with the blower first. Then use the fluid and microfiber-cloth (also blasted with the blower first).

Those blowers/blasters get a great deal of use here! :p

Carefully and Gently -

Dave

Hi looking for a "super-fine optical-brush" any one know a UK suppier?

10 hours ago, Itabot said:

FLO, the sponsor of this community, doesn't list one by and of itself. But they do have the LensPen, branded Celestron, which include a very good, super-gentle (always blast the brush with air to remove any dust, etc.) brush:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/celestron-lens-pen.html

Hoping to not spark a debate, the brush on this is perfectly good. The activated-charcoal cleaning-tip is debatable.

Hope this helps,

Dave

319BOIyexKL.jpg

10 hours ago, Itabot said:

FLO, the sponsor of this community, doesn't list one by and of itself. But they do have the LensPen, branded Celestron, which include a very good, super-gently brush:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/celestron-lens-pen.html

Hoping to not spark a debate, the brush on this is perfectly good. The activated-charcoal cleaning-tip is debatable.

Hope this helps,

Dave

319BOIyexKL.jpg

4 hours ago, rockystar said:

Thanks rockystar

While it's nice not to have any visble traces of cleaning on an eyepiece, the slight chromatic reflection you often end up with (the oil on water effect) is totally unimportant and invisible in use. Rather than do more cleaning than necessary to get rid of it I would do less cleaning and ignore it. It is awfully tempting to look at optics but the thing to do is look through them. 

Olly

To be honest during a session if my eyepiece got misted or  finger printed through mishandling I don't  give a second thought to wiping it with a scarf, my shirt or coat sleeve or whatever else is at hand, if, I have run out of locally purchased Zeiss tissues.
I feel were in fear of destroying or damaging the optics in a single wipe? True, If the eyepiece hits a dirty floor, and is proper contaminated, then caution is required, because the contamination  could be  abrasive, so here I would  set it aside for a proper clean later. My  EP work station is on the glass topped cooker, under my  cooker hood, bright lights and  full on extractor, that keeps the dust away whilst cleaning.

Not every eyepiece is equal in quality or construction, but Tele Vue's  cleaning  method is as comprehensive as any http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=103

Yet even their cleaning  is subjective, in one sentence they advise not to blow due to  droplets, yet in another they suggest fogging  by breath! Same thing really, blowing breathing,  they can both produce moisture, droplets.

Just go with what what you feel is right. 

1 hour ago, Charic said:

Yett even their cleaning  is subjective, in one sentence they advise not to blow due to  droplets, yet in another they suggest fogging  by breath! Same thing really, blowing breathing,  they can both produce moisture, droplets.

I'd disagree with your interpretation. Blowing is forceful (high velocity and high pressure) so often introduces spittle into the airstream requiring more cleaning. Fogging should be done with the the gentlest of 'huffs', almost no air movement at all and very low pressure to produce surface condensation, so 'splatter risk' is minimal.

As an example, breathe normally in a full face crash helmet ... then for comparison try sneezing ...  :icon_biggrin:

AndyG

I "blow" using a manually operated hurricane blower to remove any loose dust etc. I hold the eyepiece with the lens surface to be cleaned facing downwards so that gravity takes things away. I find that a gentle "huff" on the lens to induce slight condensation which is then gently wiped off with the micro fibre cloth works well too. For stubborn residue I break out the Baader Optical Wonder Fluid applied via the micro fibre cloth.

Thats my eyepiece optics cleaning approach and it's worked very well for the past few years :icon_biggrin:

I have the  Giotto 'Rocket' blower and Zeiss  optical wipes.
I may consider trying the Baader fluid, it gets mentioned the most, and as for micro-fibre cloth, I've loads of them, from face sized flannel  to car sized drying towels!

Archived