Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Graphics card (for image processing)?

Hi all

I suppose I posed the question on here as a bit of an afterthought since I just ordered a couple of cards. I appreciate that AP and image processing don't require the same GPU facilities as gaming but my old 32-bit system only has a 512Mb geforce 9500gt (from 2009) in it, and my 64 bit i5 only has on-board Intel hd 3000. So I decided to buy myself a Christmas present :) (nobody else will!). I use the 32-bit system for watching tv also and it currently won't display HD channels properly :(. Also, my 64-bit hd 3000 doesn't seem to support hdmi (I think it's supposed to but I've never been able to get an hdmi output) and I'd like to use hdmi if I could. Both monitors are 1920x1080. I've ordered a MSI Nvidia GT730 for the 32-bit system and a Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti for the 64-bit one. Hopefully, they should keep me going for a bit. Rumour had it that the Pixinsight people were going to implement some graphics acceleration at some point - maybe...

Any thoughts about graphics cards generally? Anyone here done any CUDA/parallel programming? With a new card I might try my hands at that, one of theses days - just for fun :p.

Louise

6 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi all

I suppose I posed the question on here as a bit of an afterthought since I just ordered a couple of cards. I appreciate that AP and image processing don't require the same GPU facilities as gaming but my old 32-bit system only has a 512Mb geforce 9500gt (from 2009) in it, and my 64 bit i5 only has on-board Intel hd 3000. So I decided to buy myself a Christmas present :) (nobody else will!). I use the 32-bit system for watching tv also and it currently won't display HD channels properly :(. Also, my 64-bit hd 3000 doesn't seem to support hdmi (I think it's supposed to but I've never been able to get an hdmi output) and I'd like to use hdmi if I could. Both monitors are 1920x1080. I've ordered a MSI Nvidia GT730 for the 32-bit system and a Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti for the 64-bit one. Hopefully, they should keep me going for a bit. Rumour had it that the Pixinsight people were going to implement some graphics acceleration at some point - maybe...

Any thoughts about graphics cards generally? Anyone here done any CUDA/parallel programming? With a new card I might try my hands at that, one of theses days - just for fun :p.

Louise

Using GPU compute libraries isn't simple. Unless you're already a very experienced programmer I wouldn't suggest diving into CUDA or OpenCl. They require... more than a bit of setup.

For image processing, GPU acceleration has the potential for a HUGE performance increase over CPU, but I don't think any existing software really makes use of it unless it's for scientific purposes or for 3D rendering (3DS max/Blender etc) (some video encoders and I think Adobe after affects is all i can think of atm.)

For a glimpse into GPU programming, have a look at this: http://simpleopencl.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/tutorial-simple-start-with-opencl-and-c.html

TBH, the demands on the GFX card are low for 2D applications provided you have the card memory to support the resolution you use - and preferably double in case you want to run 2 monitors. The monitor is more important because that's what you use visually to judge the processing result on - and the ability to fine callibrate the monitor is also important. CUDA needs special programming and is only suitable for a few specific tasks that can be split into hundreds of cores. Seti@home or BOINC are well known apps that made use of it (at the expense of generating a lot of heat!).

ChrisH

18 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Using GPU compute libraries isn't simple. Unless you're already a very experienced programmer I wouldn't suggest diving into CUDA or OpenCl. They require... more than a bit of setup.

For image processing, GPU acceleration has the potential for a HUGE performance increase over CPU, but I don't think any existing software really makes use of it unless it's for scientific purposes or for 3D rendering (3DS max/Blender etc) (some video encoders and I think Adobe after affects is all i can think of atm.)

For a glimpse into GPU programming, have a look at this: http://simpleopencl.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/tutorial-simple-start-with-opencl-and-c.html

Doesn't look too bad :) I'll have a look-see at what Nvidia offers in the way of software support

Unsurprisingly, Nvidia seem pretty committed to its CUDA support. At a glance, I'm quite impressed by their stuff. I think I could get into this! Especially the AI application (nothing to do with watching 'Humans', honest!). I do need time and space to focus on it, though, and that probably won't happen until maybe April. Hopefully, I'll get the gtx 1050 ti within a couple of weeks and I'll see about starting to set things up on the 64-bit i5. Lots of reading to do :) I think DIY quantum computing is still a ways off so 'conventional' parallel computing seems worth investigating. I think this thread probably belongs elsewhere now - if a moderator would like to move it to one of the lounges, ta.

Louise

Archived