Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Arps 2016

Martin Meredith

I've been observing quite a few Arp objects in this, the 50th year since the publication of Halton Arp's Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies. Here's a montage of some of them to show the great variety of objects on offer, all taken with the same kit. They make fantastic targets for this style of observing. As a rough estimate, these represent in total about 1.5 hours exposure (although they were observed across several sessions). My thanks go out to Paul Shears without whose StarlightLive none of this would have been so easy and pleasurable.

arps_large.png

Martin

Thanks Rob!

Brandon, of course, no problems with the link -- I'll be following your thread with a lot of interest. Although I'm not working through the Arps in any particular way, I like to observe them when I see one close by and maybe in a few years I'll reach a 100 or so. The great thing about observing programs, official or otherwise, is that you get to appreciate the many distinct forms of that any type of DSO can take, which adds a lot to the experience. BTW the poster I was referring to in your PN work was an enquiry into whether you planned to do something like this with your images. 

Martin

Excellent work and montage Martin :)

Met by chance Halton Arp decades ago in the carpark @ Cambridge Uni Obsy when a tall American gentleman asked me "is this the way to the BAA meeting?"  It was indeed and our guest speaker !

Nytecam

Nytecam, I wonder if Arp discussed this object in his talk?

This configuration isn't listed in the Arp Peculiar Galaxy catalogue but nevertheless was the subject of much controversy due to the proximity of a quasar (Markarian 205) with a redshift which puts it at about 10 times the distance of the spiral NGC 4319. Arp claimed to have identified a luminous bridge of material linking the two in H-alpha, to support his argument that high redshift quasars are ejected from galaxies and that the redshift is spurious. In this case he argues that the two spiral arms "are coming off at their roots" as a result of "a rather violent and recent explosion in the centre of the galaxy".

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 19.43.05.png

My shot (from October) on the left is a 4 minute exposure (8x30s) from my 8" f/4 scope, while the right image (from Arp's 1971 paper) is a 20 minute exposure taken with the 200" f/3.67 Mount Palomar scope. The increased resolution of the latter is clear, but we've come a long way photographically ;-)

Martin

After just starting on an Arp campaign and reading 'The Peculiar Universe of Halton Arp' chapter of Kanipe and Webb's The Arp Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies, I am very much looking forward to reading Arp's Seeing Red: Redshifts, Cosmology and Academic Science due to arrive with an Amazon shipment next Monday!

• 2 months later...

Sorry Martin for the delay :)

Arp remained a modestly controversial figure at the meeting and although held in some awe we were as polite as ever.  I can understand why he linked with 'bridges' to so many gx with adjacent quasars but think the bridges were a photographic effect caused by the way developers work and thus spurious - I'd seen a similar effect in my own photofilm images during the pre-CCD era.

It was sad that he was sidelined and effectively unemployable in the States thereafter and in his later years worked in Germany where I think he died.   With the modern HMQ catalogue quasars are commonplace and can occur by chance apparently in the field of gxs and even globulars etc

Nytecam

Archived