Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Manfrotto tripod


Recommended Posts

I am looking to get the Manfrotto 055 3 section Tripod and its rated at 8kg-9kg depending on what website you look at and i was wondering if my setup would handle it

 

Camera - Canon 100d

Lens - Rokinon/Samyang 35mm 1.4 

Mount - Star Adventurer

 

I would hopefully in the future look at Canons 300mm lens to use so i would like to futureproof the tripod i get

 

i see there any different variations of the 055 series and not sure what the differences are though

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got the MT055XPRO3 (Aluminium) and it is a sturdy beast - I use mine mainly for daytime landscape photography but have also used it with an iOptron Skytracker, a Sirui K-30X ballhead, a gripped Canon 6D and a Canon 16-35L/Samyang 14 and it's been fine. Just a word of warning though - the tensioning screws on the leg clamps constantly work loose so make sure you always have a 8mm socket with you. Tellingly, Manfrotto supply one with the tripod...

HTH

Rich 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RichLD said:

I've got the MT055XPRO3 (Aluminium) and it is a sturdy beast - I use mine mainly for daytime landscape photography but have also used it with an iOptron Skytracker, a Sirui K-30X ballhead, a gripped Canon 6D and a Canon 16-35L/Samyang 14 and it's been fine. Just a word of warning though - the tensioning screws on the leg clamps constantly work loose so make sure you always have a 8mm socket with you. Tellingly, Manfrotto supply one with the tripod...

HTH

Rich 

nice one and if my memory serves right the ioptron is around the same weight as the adverturer, did you have any bigger lenses than the 16-35 you said?

 

cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RichLD said:

No worries :happy11: I've never used anything longer (physically or focal length wise) but the 16-35 weighs in at 615g if that helps at all.

Cheers

Rich

It doesn't help really but that's my fault not yours haha, I've changed my mind about 20 times on what tripod i'm gonna get and still can't decide, the thing that put me off what you saying it needs to be tightened regularly on the leg clamps..........

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pne_rob said:

It doesn't help really but that's my fault not yours haha, I've changed my mind about 20 times on what tripod i'm gonna get and still can't decide, the thing that put me off what you saying it needs to be tightened regularly on the leg clamps..........

Yeah, the leg clamp thing is annoying - it's still a really nice solid tripod though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I have one of these http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/RSF-324_Alloy_4_Section_Tripod.html and although I dont have the SA it gets used with a gripped DSLR and my WO ZS 71 or Canon 70-200 F4.

Alan

very interesting, just seen a few decent reviews on it but the problem is there doesn't seem to be any available s/h on famous auctioning sites, can they only be bought on the official website?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pne_rob said:

very interesting, just seen a few decent reviews on it but the problem is there doesn't seem to be any available s/h on famous auctioning sites, can they only be bought on the official website?

I think so but I got mine within a couple of days of ordering, I also have the smaller RSF-284M along with the RSH-12 head nice bit of kit.

Alan

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I think so but I got mine within a couple of days of ordering, I also have the smaller RSF-284M along with the RSH-12 head nice bit of kit.

Alan

i think ive found my tripod, im gonna get the rsf-324 with the rsh-61/30 cheaper ball head but will only use the head for DSLR photography only.

thanks for the info.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

At this point, the one thing we can almost be certain of is that your tripod will most probably have 3 legs. ;)

(Z818 rated 15kg £95, Red Snapper rated 12kg £109)

don't do this to me rich haha. il be honest i woke up today getting ready to order the z818 and just thought with it being a clone and chinese made and manufactured and a few reviews saying its cheaply made. I wish there was just a few models of tripods made and there was a general consensus of what majority use and it would be a lot easier to choose.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RichLD said:

 the tensioning screws on the leg clamps constantly work loose so make sure you always have a 8mm socket with you. Tellingly, Manfrotto supply one with the tripod...

Not suffered the same issues with my tripod!
I also managed to get me the 222 Ball Head Trigger Grip. Works fine for my use, never  used the supplied  head yet. 
https://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/29452-manfrotto-binocular-setup/?browse=1

Edited by Charic
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

At this point, the one thing we can almost be certain of is that your tripod will most probably have 3 legs. ;)

(Z818 rated 15kg £95, Red Snapper rated 12kg £109)

Ah but is it RED :happy8:

Alan

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.