Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Turning my dob into a planetary imager?

pipnina

I have a Nikon D3200 & a 250p dob. I was wondering if it's worth buying adaptors so that I can attach my DSLR to my scope in order to image planets, the moon etc. 

I would guess I need the nikon version of these, do i need any other adaptors? Also, if I just attach the camera to my scope, won't it just be like using a 1200MM f4.7 lens? Will I need a barlow for it as well? Especially since just having the camera attached to it will leave the sensor exposed otherwise.

Will the earth's rotation make things difficult?

~pip

Yep, that T-Ring will do fine. Just unscrew the 1.25” barrel from the 2” adapter, and it leaves the threads for your t-ring to attach to. Yep, it’ll behave as an F1200 F4.7 lens. Barlow - possibly, possibly not. Don’t need one with my EOS650D on a 200p in terms of getting things in view, but yes one could be used to protect the CCD sensor, or screw a 2” filter into the reverse of the 2” adapter on the scope if it’s threaded. Otherwise you can get a clear CLS clip-in filter to go straight in the camera.

If imaging planets then probably better shooting movie and stacking that. Most stacking software will pull any minor drift into line, so then you can manually guide it. 

I'm a long way from knowing much about this, but with a DSLR I would think a x3 or even higher Barlow might be useful to get a decent image scale.

The earth's rotation will certainly be obvious and with barlows the planets will drift across the view quite quickly. One answer to this is an equatorial Wedge which if you want to get steadier views might help.

On 26/11/2016 at 16:26, Stu said:

I'm a long way from knowing much about this, but with a DSLR I would think a x3 or even higher Barlow might be useful to get a decent image scale.

The earth's rotation will certainly be obvious and with barlows the planets will drift across the view quite quickly. One answer to this is an equatorial Wedge which if you want to get steadier views might help.

Just in case the OP searches on these terms it would be an equatorial platform, not an equatorial wedge, needed for the Dob. An equatorial wedge tips a fork mount to the equatorial angle, which wouldn't do for a Dob because it would fall off! An equatorial platform ingeniously uses a shallow physical angle to deliver, for a limited period, equatorial tracking. I'm not being pedantic, I hope.  I'm just acknowledging the pedantry of search engines!!

Olly

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Just in case the OP searches on these terms it would be an equatorial platform, not an equatorial wedge, needed for the Dob. An equatorial wedge tips a fork mount to the equatorial angle, which wouldn't do for a Dob because it would fall off! An equatorial platform ingeniously uses on a shallow physical angle to deliver, for a limited period, equatorial tracking. I'm not being pedantic, I hope.  I'm just acknowledging the pedantry of search engines!!

Olly

Thanks Olly. I've no idea what planet I was on when I wrote that! An EQ Platform it most definitely is!

Stu

Archived