SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shuttle Atlantis / Hubble Space Telescope Imaging Competition

Radar

Hi Members,

In October we (MyAstroSpace.com) are holding a global competition to see who is up to the challenge of imaging Atlantis whilst she orbits with Hubble.

We hope to see members from Stargazers Lounge participating in this historic event. Online communities and astronomy magazines from around the world are involved with this event.

Our judges for this historic event will be -

Chris Lintott (Sky at Night)

Sir Patrick Moore (Sky at Night)

Tom Trusock (Cloudy Nights)

Jerry Bonnell (Astronomy Picture of the Day)

Phil Harrington (Phil Harrington.net)

Jerry Lodriguss (Astropix.com)

You can read more about the competition's categories here -

http://www.myastrospace.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14021#post14021

This is Hubble's last repair mission; she has shown us the edge of the universe and the beginning of time via a 1 million second exposure. We hope to see astrophotographers across the world pay tribute to this amazing astrophoto instrument by working hard to capture an image of Atlantis and Hubble.

So please put away the deep space objects for one week in October and help us make this a very memorable event.

You can learn some of the basics of spacecraft photography here -

http://www.myastrospace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1723

We hope to see you in October.

Kind Regards

Ray Palmer

Cosmotographer

www.NaturesPeak.com.au

www.MyAstroSpace.com

Astronomical Society WA

Astronomical Group WA

Perth Observatory Volunteer

Astro Peak Observatory

Writer of Space Cowboy

I dont want to put a damper on this, but as far as I am aware, Hubble is never visible from the UK, what with its highest lattitude pass being somewhere in the region of 28-29 degrees north. Cant see them changing the orbital path of the HST that much during the servicing mission

hubble-passes.jpg

G'day Guys,

Keagle the link is working from my end. The same link can be accessed through the first link.

I dont want to put a damper on this, but as far as I am aware, Hubble is never visible from the UK, what with its highest lattitude pass being somewhere in the region of 28-29 degrees north. Cant see them changing the orbital path of the HST that much during the servicing mission

Steve you are right that there are places across the world that won't be able to shoot this event unfortunately. Even for those who are in the right area may only get one chance and that chance could easily be put to rest by bad weather.

Because of Hubble's amazing acheivements we want to create awareness of this last servicing mission, so this competition is more a tribute. For the duration of the mission, we want to create a central hub for Hubble (no pun intended). We hope that images will start coming in from around the world as soon as Atlantis takes off. For those that can't photograph it, we hope that you will still enjoy watching all the photographs that others are taking.

Maybe a 5 year increase in the comp deadline will help. :D

Hubble will probably be re-entering by then :D

Cheers

Ray

Archived