Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

This years 1st Perseid

Just packed up after doing some drift aligning before bed and i saw my first Perseid meteor. lovely very bright green/blue train that lasted a couple of seconds.

I'm chuffed, wonder if this is a good omen for a good show this year with it being just under a couple of weeks for the main show?

• 2 weeks later...

Johnny

Perseid shower meteors produce long bright trails about 10 to 15 deg long (3 times the separation of the Plough pointer stars). The point of origin (radiant) is between Cassiopeia and Perseus so the meteors can be seen anywhere from the north, east and south and from horizon to zenith. The later you observe the more you are likely to see as the radiant gets higher.

By the way the shower lasts all through August it just the number per hour increases a lot on 13th Aug.

Mike

After a brief browse of the heavens with my scope I settled into my trusty Ikea deckchair, armed only with my iPod to sit back and watch the show. Unfortunately my garden doesn't have the best views, but I managed to count 8 perseids within a half hour period.

Nothing quite as spectacular as what George saw, just white streaks across the heavens for a second at the most. Will try again Thursday if the weather's any good, although I'll take a mug of coffee with me next time.

After a brief browse of the heavens with my scope I settled into my trusty Ikea deckchair, armed only with my iPod to sit back and watch the show. Unfortunately my garden doesn't have the best views, but I managed to count 8 perseids within a half hour period.

Nothing quite as spectacular as what George saw, just white streaks across the heavens for a second at the most. Will try again Thursday if the weather's any good, although I'll take a mug of coffee with me next time.

We must have had the same thing in mind, i too was seated on a chair in my garden, although my skies are now rather good being in a country village with nothing for miles around.

The shower was dissapointing, only managed 1 or 2 streaks in the hr i was out.

Still the view of the milky way was superb and i spotted around with my binos taking in the view.

Archived