drift alignment with phd

Hi guys just wondering as it tears my hair out sometimes and probably over thinking it but thought I should try again using the drift alignment tool in PHD, so heres basically what I see in the sky, going from polaris  to my left down to neptune on my right which two stars are suitable ? I have taken a screen grab so you can see what I got there

Capture.JPG

I haven't had any successes with it myself.

Instead, and I do things quite a bit differently than many/most, I use a NexRemote virtual controller on my Laptop. (Celestron Advanced VX mount)

After my typical 2+4 alignment stars, I do a polar alignment. What that does is to fine tune the mount's Polar Alignment.

I also run PEC in replay. (Periodic Error Correction) PEC compensates for the mechanics of my mount, gear lash, and drag.

PHD2 is my "eyepiece" during my alignment run, and my guide scope and main telescope are adjusted very close to being spot on for centering.

So because of the above, I haven't needed to further pursue drift alignment.

Here are some links I found valuable to me: PHD2 Basics 1, PHD2 Basics 2, and this may help you, PHD Drift Tool Tutorial.

Just tried that sharpcap and think i got it except i cant get to next on the polar alignment but I got the star within 00 00 07 and  00 00 01 so guess thats ok? like the look of it but up at 5 in morning so I will def be looking at some tutorials and reading up on it thanks once again

To find suitable stars to drift align with you should first change your display to Equatorial coordinates and you also want to display the meridian and the celestial equator (or declination 0). Find one star near where the meridian intersects the celestial equator. Slightly west of the meridian is a good idea so you don't get forced into a meridian flip halfway through. Drift align on that one to adjust your azimuth knobs. Find a second star near where the celestial equator intersects the east or west horizon. The eastern horizon is better so the star doesn't disappear over the horizon. Drift align on that one to adjust your altitude knob. In both cases, "near" means within about 20 degrees.

Archived