Narrowband

Couple of pictures from a Newbie

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Stu1976j said:

couple of great images you managed to get there, what kind of gear did you use to capture them ? if you don't mind me being nosy :)

No not at all! Be nosy! I have a eq6 goto with a Skywatcher 150pds along with a canon 550d not modded. I have no Autoguider just doing my best to get polar alignment. The only other thing I have but doesn't seem to work too well is a Baader coma corrector. That's my kit. Nothing special. So the pictures are ok? To an experts eyes? 

Gerry

You are off to a great start. I especially like the Triangulum Galaxy. Your star shape is a bit off but that has nothing to do with the coma corrector. You will have to put a bit more effort in the polar alignment. All star elongations go in the same direction indicating that the stars are drifting. Otherwise your are well and truly on the right track!

Clear skies

HJ

16 hours ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

No not at all! Be nosy! I have a eq6 goto with a Skywatcher 150pds along with a canon 550d not modded. I have no Autoguider just doing my best to get polar alignment. The only other thing I have but doesn't seem to work too well is a Baader coma corrector. That's my kit. Nothing special. So the pictures are ok? To an experts eyes? 

Gerry

Do you have the Baader protective EOS t mount and coma corrector ring? The three of them are designed to work together to achive 55mm between the sensor and lenses. Other EOS T mounts don't seem to get the back focus unless it's very low profile.

15 hours ago, Stu1976j said:

Well i am no expert but once i get my rig all up and together in my obsy ( currently half way through build now ) I would be happy to start getting some images as good as yours :) 

Make sure to post some pics of your observatory. I would like to do that sometime in the future but I've already spent too much!

10 hours ago, spillage said:

Nice images. My eq6 should be here tomorrow and my 150pds has just been flocked so hopefully can get images this good. Are you using a coma corrector. Did you bother with flats?

Yes I'm using a coma corrector. Flats! I'm hardly using darks! I just did a few exposures and 2 darks. They are really the first pictures and I'm learning how to use APT. I wanted backyardeos but you know I couldn't find the download link. If you know send me a link. 

You will love the 150. It's a great scope. Looks the part without being too big and on a eq6 im getting 7 minutes although as someone said with very slight star trailing. 

Autoguider later! Until I've got the maximum out of it. 

1 hour ago, Shiinsuh said:

Do you have the Baader protective EOS t mount and coma corrector ring? The three of them are designed to work together to achive 55mm between the sensor and lenses. Other EOS T mounts don't seem to get the back focus unless it's very low profile.

Yes I have a canon 550d with t ring and baader. Yes I have set it to 55mm from the focal plane.  I'm lucky as a 550d has its sensor quite deep in so I get back focus no problem. I'll look at the baader one though. Do you have a link? Thanks. 

7 hours ago, hjw said:

You are off to a great start. I especially like the Triangulum Galaxy. Your star shape is a bit off but that has nothing to do with the coma corrector. You will have to put a bit more effort in the polar alignment. All star elongations go in the same direction indicating that the stars are drifting. Otherwise your are well and truly on the right track!

Clear skies

HJ

Yes I noticed that too but that is after 7 minutes. I don't have a Autoguider. I'll keep going at it and see if I can improve on it. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Yes I noticed that too but that is after 7 minutes. I don't have a Autoguider. I'll keep going at it and see if I can improve on it. Any suggestions?

For an unguided setup 7 minutes is too long. From my experience, about 2 minutes is the maximum. I've seen in your tech card that you took 3 pictures with 7 minutes each. I would rather aim for 30 odd pictures with 2 minutes. Two minute exposures will improve your star shape and 30 frames stacked will improve your signal to noise ratio.

Clear skies

HJ

8 hours ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Make sure to post some pics of your observatory. I would like to do that sometime in the future but I've already spent too much!

I have a thread running under the DIY Observatory forum. I totally understand the money side of things as do a lot of other guys and girls on here. getting the obsy up and running is starting to cost a lot more than planned plus trying to get some more astro upgrades :) but hay can't take it with me and sure the kids don't want it lol.

21 hours ago, hjw said:

For an unguided setup 7 minutes is too long. From my experience, about 2 minutes is the maximum. I've seen in your tech card that you took 3 pictures with 7 minutes each. I would rather aim for 30 odd pictures with 2 minutes. Two minute exposures will improve your star shape and 30 frames stacked will improve your signal to noise ratio.

Clear skies

HJ

I will definitely give it a try. Thanks!

On 11/25/2016 at 10:41, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Yes I have a canon 550d with t ring and baader. Yes I have set it to 55mm from the focal plane.  I'm lucky as a 550d has its sensor quite deep in so I get back focus no problem. I'll look at the baader one though. Do you have a link? Thanks. 

This is the baader T-ring and the adaptor for the coma corrector.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-protective-t-ring-for-canon-eos.html
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-m48-spacer-for-mpcc-iii-coma-corrector.html

Get yourself a guiding scope you will never look back.

My newly purchased neq6 and 150pds were put through their first stint last night. Maybe I was lucky but I found it really easy to set up once all the lead had been connected. 

You can even polar align using PHD and I was getting 600s subs that were good enough to keep.

23 hours ago, spillage said:

Get yourself a guiding scope you will never look back.

My newly purchased neq6 and 150pds were put through their first stint last night. Maybe I was lucky but I found it really easy to set up once all the lead had been connected. 

You can even polar align using PHD and I was getting 600s subs that were good enough to keep.

I intend to in the future. I just want to learn all I can with what I have first and battle a bit!

http://www.astrobin.com/full/274255/B/

I took this last night. 

Gerry, I can only load one (Triangulum) of your images, but it looks great!!  The stars are round and I can't see much that would disturb me.  Of course I'm not where you are in this learning curve.  Another few months and maybe I'll be where you are today, and ecstatic.  Great going!!

BTW, is it only I who can't get your other photo to load from AstroBin?  Do I have to be a member or be registered with AstroBin.  Triangulum has loaded multiple times but not your second image.

56 minutes ago, rodmichael said:

Gerry, I can only load one (Triangulum) of your images, but it looks great!!  The stars are round and I can't see much that would disturb me.  Of course I'm not where you are in this learning curve.  Another few months and maybe I'll be where you are today, and ecstatic.  Great going!!

BTW, is it only I who can't get your other photo to load from AstroBin?  Do I have to be a member or be registered with AstroBin.  Triangulum has loaded multiple times but not your second image.

Sorry about that, no idea what happened!  http://www.astrobin.com/users/gerald%40evans/

11 hours ago, spillage said:

Nice image. You may want to check your spider veins are not twisted as there are a few spikes coming off zeta.

What were your exposure times and what do you use for processing if you dont mind me asking.

Yes I noticed that too. I'll check those. For the Triangulum it was 5 x 7 minute frames. I've since learned that without Autoguiding that was too long but the stars are not terrible. The horse head was 27 frames of 3 minutes. The processing I do everything on Lightroom as it's the only one I have. 

7 hours ago, rodmichael said:

Gerry,

Great Images!!!  You seem to have this down cold.  I am for sure going to have to keep in touch with you.  I have no confidence that my initial efforts will be anywhere near your results.  Great going.

Thanks! Well I like them. If you do need any help I'm happy to help if I can but there are some very experienced astronomers on here but I'm happy to share what I know. What equipment will you be using? 

3 hours ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Yes I noticed that too. I'll check those. For the Triangulum it was 5 x 7 minute frames. I've since learned that without Autoguiding that was too long but the stars are not terrible. The horse head was 27 frames of 3 minutes. The processing I do everything on Lightroom as it's the only one I have. 

Should of kept quiet about your veins I have just noticed that mine our out too.

horse.jpg

Archived