SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I Dont Beliiiieeve It!

Tommohawk

Totally hacked off with UK weather and lack of clear sky so I booked 5 days in Spain - depart in a few hours. Its been fine there since April, but as I arrive we get rain and cloud. And for extra poke in the eye value, it returns to sun the day I depart. And for a quick poke in the other eye, today and Monday back home the forecast is clear.

I got a new lighter mount and smaller laptop specially for this so can you guess how miffed I feel!!??

Not sure quite what I'm hoping for with this post - just venting my spleen I guess!!

Thats bad luck Tom.

Blazing sunshine and clear dark skies forecast for the Quantocks today ! :wink:

(only joking - cloudy and cold here :embarrassed:)

Try and find something else to do on your trip - some bird spotting perhaps ?

A year and a half back (Aug 2015) I went to La Palma for two weeks... I arrived to torrential rain and the first full week was ruined by the rain and Calima (dust blowing off the Sahara). The second week was better but 5-6 days in I was in despair. At least I did get a few clearer nights at the end but I can understand you wanting to vent your spleen!!!

James

On 11/24/2016 at 11:46, JB80 said:

Not the best timing I suppose, what part of Spain are you heading to?

Almunecar - its a coast town about 1 hour drive east of Malaga. My friend has a place there but also has a converted cortijo (farmhouse) with apartments up in the hills about 20 miles inland. It would be great site with minimal light pollution, but as it turs out with the weather being poor we'll stay by the coast.

On 11/24/2016 at 10:19, John said:

Try and find something else to do on your trip - some bird spotting perhaps ?

Well as it happens theres been a big dump of snow in Sierra Nevada mountains and they will open the ski resort Saturday so we may get a day skiing on Monday - some consolation!

For now the main diversion has been an excess of refreshing beverages!

Funnily enough I'm off to La Palma in February, so this will be a "dry run"... well, not so dry as it turns out. I'm definitley going to have to rethink the packing strategy. I only just got my basic holiday kit in even after leaving the scope and camera at home.

On 11/25/2016 at 20:00, Skipper Billy said:

We have just had 6 clear nights in row -  I have done more imaging in the  last week than all of last winter - its cloudy tonight and I am actually pleased -  I am exhausted!

But  feel your pain! 

Hey good luck to you!

Looks like I might get a clear night when I return Tuesday,  work permitting. But looks like I missed a couple super nights - never mind there's always next time!

On 11/28/2016 at 18:44, Paul73 said:

We have just had three crystal clear nights all ruined by low lying mist. Grrrrrrrrr.... 

Looking hopeful for tonight.

Paul

Hopefully you got your clear night? Should be better tomorrow also by the look of it. Trouble is with clear skies in winter is the freezing cold!! I seem to remember seeing a pic of Damian Peach imaging in Hawaii or someplace wearing shorts. I must be doing something wrong!

I feel your pain, my recent trips to the Canaries have been thwarted by cloud (at night) and back on arrival to the UK I found it had been the best it had been for a long time...

Just keep at it, and don't give up...your time will come.

I'm under constant cloud here in Spain at the moment and have been now for a little short of two weeks....... I know, I know.... you guys in the UK have this all of the time.... but I have certain expectations and they are NOT being met :D 

30 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

I feel your pain, my recent trips to the Canaries have been thwarted by cloud (at night) and back on arrival to the UK I found it had been the best it had been for a long time...

Just keep at it, and don't give up...your time will come.

Sounds like I'm not alone! I've been trying to figure out a way of getting to Spain for AP cos its cheap and generally reliable weather, plus I have firends there. My trip there last week only cost £16.99 each way! BUT the only way to be sure with the weather is to wait until about 1 week before ... and then the prices have gone up.

Last few nights have been good here - risk of hypothermia though!

32 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I'm under constant cloud here in Spain at the moment and have been now for a little short of two weeks....... I know, I know.... you guys in the UK have this all of the time.... but I have certain expectations and they are NOT being met :D 

Yep, if you're based in Spain you not going to get too much sympathy from the UK!!

BTW just in the middle of your article in AN.  Very nicely put together and very relevant especially for budding narrowband folk like myself - nice job.

Been very lucky here with quite a number of clear nights :)  Absolutely swamped with data to process :D  But the forecast for the next week is for cloud with some of it down to ground level meaning fog!!  Rain too :clouds1::clouds2::(  Ah well, it'll give me time to catch up on my data processing :D

22 hours ago, Gina said:

Been very lucky here with quite a number of clear nights :)  Absolutely swamped with data to process :D  But the forecast for the next week is for cloud with some of it down to ground level meaning fog!!  Rain too :clouds1::clouds2::(  Ah well, it'll give me time to catch up on my data processing :D

Looking at the forecast you will have plenty of time to catch up with the data you already have ! What are you working on?

Archived