Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky Atlas 2000 Desk Laminated (2nd Edition) Questions

procky1845

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing the Sky Atlas 2000 desk laminated edition as an upgrade to my PSA. I have a couple of questions on the format though and was hoping somebody could help me.

I understand the Laminated Desk edition is spiral bound, does it have fold out pages, or is each page non-folding and covers one chart

If so, do the pages basically fold out to the same size as the deluxe edition pages?

I'm just trying to work out if this is going to be practical in the field, and actually would I prefer the deluxe laminated edition which may be more sturdy without the folding pages?

If anybody has a copy of one or both I would be interested to hear your opinion.

Thanks

Not sure about the comparo but Sky&Telescope is selling the color laminated edition at half-price: 60$ instead of 120$:

http://www.shopatsky.com/sky-atlas-2000-deluxe-laminated

I have the old paper Sky Atlas 2000; I had to cover the pages with adhesive film or they would curl up with dew. After being annoyed for long by the spiral binding, I removed it. Having to constantly fold and unflod charts bothered me, too, I keep them folded out all the time, unbound. But you shouldn't be annoyed by the spiral binding if the laminated charts are fully open all the time. I would buy the laminated version if I didn't already have a workable paper version.

Well my thoughts were that the size of the desk laminated edition (if it doesn't have fold out pages) would be better in the field than the size of the deluxe laminated one which is bigger.

I just need to confirm if that is the case. I "think" it is, as I can't imagine how folding laminated pages would even work, but I can't find any pictures that show this to be the case and non of the descriptions anywhere give enough detail about this.

Hi there Ryan, so pleased you asked this question as I kee dithering about deciding whether to make the investment into the Sky Atlas 2000. However, I'm going to chuck another question into the mix whilst we a are on the topic. Are you going to buy the black stars on white paper version or the white stars on black paper version, which they say is better for out in "the field". I have read somewhere that the red print on the white paper version which is used for nebula is obviously pretty impossible to see under red light. However, I'm not sure how the black paper version is coded, or if it even shows regions of nebulae etc, or just the stars. Even at a reduced price or second hand these things are not cheap. I really fancy one but can't decide which one to go for. I'm hoping someone will be able to advise on this. 

Just for info, I have the unlaminated field edition (white stars on black sheets, loose) and the spiral-bound desk edition. I've never used the latter, which has been on my shelf with other atlases for many years: it's just nice to have. I used the field edition with my 8" for a few years until I upgraded to Uranometria (and then Great Atlas Of The Sky which is what I currently use with my 12"). The thick sheets of the field edition are highly dew resistant and I never felt the need for laminated ones. Once or twice I'd have a sheet blow away across my observing field (fun trying to chase a black sheet of paper at night with a red head torch) so a few got mud-stained and battered but remained untorn and perfectly useable. What I'm saying is that the unlaminated field edition is tough. If you want something that'll stay looking pristine then get laminated, but if you just want something that works and lasts forever you could save some money. Best thing was the black backgrounds - none of my other atlases or charts have that feature, and I miss it. I think maybe what made me move on from Sky Atlas 2000 was its failure to plot some Herschel 400 objects, though I could be wrong. They're all plotted in the S&T Pocket Atlas, which I continue to use as my finder atlas, while Sky Atlas has been retired to a drawer (too big and muddy for the shelf). But I do pull it out sometimes for foreign holidays, when a couple of sheets of the area I'll be observing go easily in my luggage, weighing a lot less than a whole bound atlas.

5 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Hi there Ryan, so pleased you asked this question as I kee dithering about deciding whether to make the investment into the Sky Atlas 2000. However, I'm going to chuck another question into the mix whilst we a are on the topic. Are you going to buy the black stars on white paper version or the white stars on black paper version, which they say is better for out in "the field". I have read somewhere that the red print on the white paper version which is used for nebula is obviously pretty impossible to see under red light. However, I'm not sure how the black paper version is coded, or if it even shows regions of nebulae etc, or just the stars. Even at a reduced price or second hand these things are not cheap. I really fancy one but can't decide which one to go for. I'm hoping someone will be able to advise on this. 

Hi Vicky,

(Its Lee btw not Ryan :))

I'm thinking black stars on white personally just because I'm used to reading star maps in that format. I have the Pocket Sky Atlas which does have some colour but is predominantly black on white which I use all the time. I don't struggle to see the red galaxies on that one at all under red light (I think there's maybe an outline anyway in black?).

The Desk edition of the Sky Atlas 2000 though is completely black and white as far as I'm aware i.e. no colour for globulars, galaxies etc. I think its the Deluxe version which has the colour and is significantly bigger again than the desk or field editions (and more pricey)

I'm thinking I'll probably get the laminated desk version because I don't mind the full black and white and its also spiral bound which seems more convenient to me, and as mentioned above will keep it in good condition.

I expect I'll probably get it as a xmas present from my wife, but if I do end up with a copy I'll bring it along to one of the society meetings so you can have a look.

Lee

Sorry Lee, don't know why I got you confused with Ryan durr!

Yes, I'll hang fire for now as I've got stuff coming for myself for Christmas already LOL

Would really like to see your copy if you do buy one before I make a final decision as to which one I go for.

See you soon.

Vicky :)

No problem Vicky!

The other one I'm currently considering is the Desk Edition of the Interstellarum atlas which also looks very good (albeit not laminated). I'm aware there is also a field edition of that one which is much more expensive, however I've not heard good things about that one after its been out in dew (pages sticking together etc)

9 hours ago, procky1845 said:

The other one I'm currently considering is the Desk Edition of the Interstellarum atlas which also looks very good (albeit not laminated). 

I presently regularly use three atlases - each has it's own strengths.  The laminated deluxe Sky Atlas 2000 should complement these.

The Sky and Telescope Pocket Star Atlas makes a great cheap, small star atlas for general observing, especially when we are on holiday.

My Cambridge Double Star Atlas is simply the bee's knees for my visual double star observing.

My copy of the Desk edition of the Interstellarum Atlas is superb.  It is very cleverly draughted, with innovative double star representation, colour coding of DSOs and rather useful variable shading density of DSOs dependent upon what sized scope you will need to see it.  As an atlas, I find it provides more information than the Sky Atlas 2000 and it will probably remain my atlas of choice when planning observing sessions.

However, the deluxe version of the Sky Atlas 2000 has larger maps than the Interstellarum Atlas and the fact that it is laminated means I will be able to scribble on it and it will be better for using at the eyepiece.

(PS - yes I know, four star atlases is probably a bit excessive, but I love poring over star maps :icon_biggrin:)

I'm with you on the multiple star maps Michael. My husband is not into astronomy and he does not understand how I can spend so much time "reading" my star maps. I have The Cambridge Star Atlas, Double Star and Herschel object atlases and find them all useful in different ways. I even have the Cambridge photographic star atlas which is a gorgeous book and really helps me know what I will exoect to see in the eyepiece. I've got loads of other smaller star map books, but I've always fancied a nice big beefy star atlas with great big pages to pour over. Going to look at all those you've mentioned and treat myself for Christmas :)

Me too Vicky. Love looking through my atlases!

I've got the PSA, the Cambridge Double Star and I also printed a set of the Tri Atlas B set which I use a lot for planning.

On the Tri Atlas I highlight objects I've seen or ones I've identified I want to have a look at. That way as the year goes on and different constellations appear in the sky I can look at that one as a basis for quickly planning an observing sesh. Also because it's printed, I can replace pages if needed.

It's no good at the scope for me though, it's a bit too in depth and I also printed on A4 which makes it difficult to read under red light as the writing is quite small.

• 1 year later...

I have now bought the white-on-black laminated second edition & have the deluxe laminated 2nd edition on the way. 

The former is inspiring and helps in "real" colours to plot star hops as more a virtual experience using a RACI &/or RDF. 

• 4 weeks later...

You have two cheap options:

1) Print the free Deep Sky Hunter maps and laminate them.

I used these for a while and they are excellent.

2) Deep Sky Reiseatlas which retails for €29.90, which is fully laminated.

I believe it has about 666 DSOs and the maps around Mag 9.0.

If this level of detail is enough, then this atlas will survive the heaviest of dew nights. 

1 hour ago, Arcturus D said:

You have two cheap options:

1) Print the free Deep Sky Hunter maps and laminate them.

I used these for a while and they are excellent.

2) Deep Sky Reiseatlas which retails for €29.90, which is fully laminated.

I believe it has about 666 DSOs and the maps around Mag 9.0.

If this level of detail is enough, then this atlas will survive the heaviest of dew nights. 

Is the Reichatlas all in German though?

Archived