Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is the UK getting more cloudy?

timwetherell

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/26/2016 at 21:59, mdstuart said:

My records do not indicate any significant change in cloud levels over the last ten years here in Bristol.

clear.gif

I record the cloud cover three times a day. The above shows the average figures for each of the last 10 years for clear records. So on average, in a thirty day month I record the cloud level ninety times and on average it is clear on about 15 so about 17% of the time.

So if you need a clear sky, no moon, a clear diary, not to be too tired due to more than two previously clear nights that works out about two nights a month observing at best, so make the most of those nights...

Mark

Hi Mark, do you happen to have anymore data covering the first half of 2017? I've perceived it as terrible but would be interested to see objective data :)

On 11/26/2016 at 22:59, mdstuart said:

So if you need a clear sky, no moon, a clear diary, not to be too tired due to more than two previously clear nights that works out about two nights a month observing at best, so make the most of those nights...

That is a very interesting dataset, Mark. It coincides with my experiences in the UK, too during the 200x's.
I found that when I took into account work, full/bright moons and "life" getting in the way I could get 10 - 20 observing nights per year.

... time passes

One thing I used to look at was the Met Office climate records. They have moved everything around, but I have just rediscovered them. If anyone is interested, they have a trove of climatic records which include sunshine hours. To start off, have a look at this link https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate

Then click either on the Averages maps link, or enter a town and access the tabulated data.

On 24/11/2016 at 17:46, Astro Imp said:

This Autumn I am sure my area of Lincs has had more than its fair share of cloud cover. I spend a lot (too much) time reading the observing reports on the forum and often think I must have been a really bad boy in a former life to be missing out so often. It is now over three weeks since a good night. 

Only 3 weeks, we've only been out twice, even though the forecast was clear nights for most of the week. I managed 10 minutes imaging the first night and 90 minutes the 2nd except I forgot to turn the camera cooler on so that night's data was rubbish! It's not stopped raining since.

I only started astronomy this year so I don't have a basis for comparison. I've gotten a lot of sessions in this year though. The only night I haven't been out this week was Tuesday. It's clear again tonight but I had other plans. If I had gone out tonight it would have been 5 sessions in 6 days with only one cloud out. I've experienced the other side too, sometimes going weeks without a session. It's frustrating and I get grumpy. However, the excitement that comes with that first session after a cloud enforced break is amazing. It's like a long distance relationship. You're just so happy to see the stars that you soon forget about all the frustration. More importantly, you appreciate that time that little bit more because you had to wait

As best I recall they used to say we got 1 night in 4 clear enough to observe, now I hear 1 night in 6 being talked of. Trouble is you need someone or somewhere that has maintained say 10-12 years of observing records. Even simple Did observe, Did not observe, would kind of suffuce.

You might find (doubtful) that the sky/clouds clear later so people look out at 21:00 see cloud and abandon it all, whereas at 23:00 it is clear enough. Work also has a greater relevance these days I suppose. It is also all "local". If Cambridge is cloudy is Bedford, Peterborough, Bury St Edmunds, Hertford. Cambridge on Wednesday was clear for a few hours, a short drive (12 miles) I had the wipers on and the roads were wet from the rain.

I think definitions of clear may be important here too. So much of the time now, a clear night is still hazy, which I believe is related to aircraft contrails. During the day it is rare for the sky not to show many dispersed trails, which clearly remain at night cutting transparency.

I well remember the clear blue skies during the flight ban during the volcanic ash eruption and believe there must be a strong link.

Interesting revival of this thread, I agree with Stu about the definition of clear. I have noticed that the sky is often cloudless early in the morning - as in 3 or 4am. I think it was 4 out of 5 mornings this week. I set off for work at 5 so I guess I could get a quick sesh in with the bins at that sort of time. There are hardly any lights on nearby too which helps a lot, and it is amazingly quiet, which doesn't help with observing but makes it more pleasant.

I agree with you, Tim.

I can well remember in the 1970s seeing more Sunny days and starry nights. Particularly during the winter months.

Of cause I didn't have any astro gear. I was but a lad.  

Fast forward to the 1990s. We had better skies during that decade than the present one. I well remember the Summer of 1994 when Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 collided with Jupiter. We had a grandstand view under fabulously clear summer skies.

During the 2000s. My skies have worsened. Not only is the Jetstream to blame. But also the large numbers of flight traffic, outbound-inbound to MIA and elsewhere, causing contrails that slowly spread across a cloudless sky. 

I now appreciate how lucky we are to get a decent night. 

BTW: Nice write-up in S&T.

One problem is that a visual astronomer, who can easily switch to or choose targets in cloud free areas and is happy to wait as a cloud passes by, will judge 'too cloudy' by a different standard to an imager.

Also, if you get demoralised by a run of poor evenings, it gets harder to get out and you start making excuses...

First time in a few years that reaching mid September, I have not so far this season observed within the Summer triangle. I had become quite switched off for much of the summer period and getting into other activities and occasional clear nights during work day evenings have not been motivational enough to get out into the yard. It is disappointing that the weather lately has been poor, cloudy with rain night and day in the N/E, as I had been looking forward to a dark sky trip (last trip out for  August new moon turned into a dud) that may not happen, particularly as I am self employed and typically have phases of quiet week day periods so can potentially take advantage of a new moon. Still I guess lunar observing from home with binoculars will soon enough suffice.   

Archived