SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pelican imaged during summer solstice

narrowbandpaul

Hi Guys,

the skies finally cleared on the morning of june 21st, so Douglas and I managed to get out and record some narrowband data. We went for the pelican, and took 1x15 and 3x20mins using a Sky 90 at F4.5, SXV H9 with 6nm Astrodon Ha filter.

This image I am very proud of, given the sky brightness.

I hope you like it too.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Image taken with a Tak Sky 90 with Field Flattener/Reducer to F4.5. 1x15mins 3x20mins for 75 mins total exposure. Camera was SXVH9 with 6nm Astrodon Ha Filter. Mount was Astrophysics 900 GTO guided by a 78mm takahashi guide scope, with PHD guide software. Dont know that i can say more than that

Perfect. Its the sort of information members like to have with each image, so its worth posting each time (or as much as you can remember for older images).

Certainly an impressive kit list.

Mike

Thanks guys, means a lot, because the image means alot to us. The stuff is not mine. I am part of a double-act. We are both going down the narrowband imaging road with the same knowledge. I focus, capture and process, decide on exposure length and number of subs, although there is always co-operation. Its a very good set up...a priviledge to use.

I have learned a lot from Douglas, a mentor if you like. I'm learning so that when I buy my perfect set up, I wont buy any duff stuff.

So thats me, I'm not a student with a AP900, just get to use one

Best Wishes

Paul

hello paul, your image has a really nice field of view and if its ok with you would like to use it for planning a mosaic. ive been trying to get a hubble palete version of this for the last month but conditions have been a bit dire.

I hope you dont mind but ive superimposed what ive taken in Ha and OIII onto you image it seems to lay there quite well.

i would be interested when you get around to the OIII and SII if you would kindly post the mono images as ive tried two hours in OIII and it barely revealed the nebula. SII is like to be even fainter on this HII region. It would be interesting to see what other people get.

anyway i hope this link works.

pelican-small.jpg

mike.

mike that looks very good. It is something I want the sulphur for and O[iII]. For some reason unbeknownst to me, the sulphur shows up well in ionisation fronts. If you look at other NB images of the pelican, the bit you have imaged..the compression, is pretty red. As for elsewhere in the nebulae, the sulphur is probably non existant. But I will still try and acquire it though.

The O[iII] line is suprising, usually nebula have a good amount of O[iII]. I reckon its weak because the star illuminating the nebula may be quite red. The star therefore has little blue emission...so little O[iII]. This is a theory though.

Just now, we have to acquire the rest of the data, one Ha sub and 4 O[iII] subs for the bubble. Then I would like to return to the pelican.

I liked your pelican very much, perhaps we can join forces at one stage.

basically, as you know, the only thing we can do, is give the O[iII] and S[iI] all we can..weather permitting

Thanks for showing me your image

Best Wishes..and clear skies of course

Paul

hello paul, you have obviously spent some time using your narrowband filters on various targets. i had no idea that the ionisation fronts would show up well in SII.

Its all very revealing. even with just the Ha and OIII there are stars which just shine in Ha (green) and others shining in OIII (blue). It will be interesting to see what happens to them when the sulphur is added.

I hope you return to the pelican after your foray on the bubble. the bubble has its own challenges by the looks of it.

look forward to seeing your results.

mike

hello paul, its a meade dsi pro iii mono. there's quite a lot of weight off the focuser on the newt but its never had flexure problems.

are you using a coma corrector and if so is it correctly spaced?

mike.

no coma corrector used. Our NB filters are 1.25", we are possibly acquiring 2" 7nm filters from baader. The focuser flexure originates from dodgy focusers from Orion Optics. The camera is held by 2 screws, one at each side. There is no screw on top, so there is play in the focuser. The tube rings also have a small amount of give in them. Better rings, and a third screwed tapped, will fix all the problems

Paul

isnt the new dsi 3 virtually the same as the H9...sony ICX285

Archived