Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

alexbb

IC434 with ASI 120MM and Ha

While waiting for the ASI1600MMC, I'm still playing with the ASI120MM.

As I don't have a clear view to the South, I can only see Orion less than 2 hours/day and I can use the mount only in AZ mode. All in all, here is the result of ~1000 7nm Ha exposures of 15s, 70/100 gain captured with FireCapture over 3 nights. Lens: CZ 135 F/3.5 wide open. I could use the smaller stars taken with the 300mm lens, but it's not a great result so I'm not sure I'll bother.

Clear skies,

Alex

IC434_F300-2016-11-21_Ha_p6.jpg

• Like 9

Lovely image, despite the limited setup. I'm eager to see your results with the 1600.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thank you! So am I! And, maybe I wrote before, patience is not exactly one of my first virtues.

That's really nice. You've captured some nice filaments behind the Horse Head with your 7nm filter. And you've controlled Alnitak well.

Thank you too!

As a matter of fact, I didn't try to control in any way the brightness of Alnitak. I didn't use any layering, not even HDR in StarTools. That's how it gets with the Ha filter. I did 1 or 2 px star shrinking though.
Maybe I'll give another shot at processing tomorrow.

I think it's a great looking image. Amazing to see images like this with the camera I use for planetary imaging. 

Thank you!

Michael, I'd be very interested to see your results, especially with the 174. I ordered a manual filter wheel beside the 1600 which I plan to use later with a 174 and get a 7/8 position EFW for the 1600. I'd like to upgrade my 120mm to 174mm at some point and I'm wondering if there's any possibility to use the 174 for widefield DSO with a wide lens.

OK, did my best.

I reprocessed the data above and I combined some data taken with the 300mm lens for the stars (attached as well)

BTW, forgot to mention, the data taken with the 135mm lens was binned 2x2 then 3x drizzled when stacked.

+ some colour - less than an hour in 30s exposures - taken with the DSLR@300mm

IC434_F300-2016-11-21_Ha_p8.jpg

long.jpg

color_scaled_rotated.jpg

IC434_F300-2016-10-01_F135-2016-11-21-Ha_p1.jpg

Edited by moise212
colour image info
  • Like 3

Excellent! Just shows what this camera can do. I've always thought of it as a planetary camera!

Alexxx

31 minutes ago, Astrosurf said:

Excellent! Just shows what this camera can do. I've always thought of it as a planetary camera!

Alexxx

When you line it up against a 414EX its better in every important spec, it just has smaller (and slightly less) pixels and no active cooling.  You can buy one with cooling from QHY...

http://www.qhyccd.com/miniCAM5S.html

• Like 1

Thank you!

The ASI120MM is not suitable almost in any way for DSO imaging. Maybe just for lucky imaging with very very short exposures (~1s).

Read this further on: http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/501804-dark-noise-zwo-asi174mc-or-asi174mm-asi120mc-or-asi120mm/

The Atik 414 is a CCD with very little noise (dark current, readout).

The 414 has a 16bit ADC and ~18000 full well. You could overcome up to a certain point this inconvenience by stacking more than 256 frames (the 120mm is 8 bit) taken with the 120.

The only better part for the 120mm it's that it has a variable gain - don't know it's unity gain, but I'm pretty sure that 70/100 is above it so any captured photon should be added to the noise. You need at least 4 photons to be captured with the Atik 414 ex to be converted into signal (4x 0.28e-/ADU).

I will show you later on how a single frame looks.

• Like 1

Thanks and good luck!

As I promised, here's a single frame converted from FIT to PNG

single_frame.png

Edited by moise212
  • Like 1

What settings were the camera settings?  The noise is greatly improved by cooling the back of the camera as far as i understand it - its connected to the back of the sensor PCB via a tower and a thermal pad....  I'm hoping the skies will clear here as the weather forecast to test this out.  

eq5-zwo120.jpg

I've got a peltier and a heatsink ready to attach to the back for the active cooling.  If it turns out to be a bust I'll use the camera for planetary and guiding and upgrade to something more tasty (1600MM probably) when the financial controller releases the funds :)

• Like 1

Well, the sensor readings were reporting about 6C at the beginning of the session and about 3 at the end. I don't think that putting a heatsink on the back of the camera's housing will drop significantly the sensor's temperature, but that's just a supposition. Other settings were bin 2x2, 15s exposures at 70/100 gain. Shot with FireCapture.

• Like 1

Agree a heat sink won't do anything over the case but a thermo electric cooler will I'm sure ;)

Not sure we even understand the same thing after about a week of sleepless nights and work every Monday-Friday. Going to sleep at ~3AM during work days seems a bad idea after some days. Clear skies and I'm going to sleep..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Anthony RS
      Selling the Astronomik 12nm clip in Ha filter for 120€. Bought it for 270 usd including vat, customs and shipping so it's a really good price.

The filter is still in excellent condition, used only twice. No fingerprints, no scratches not even dust (image attached).

I will also handle the shipping through my post office without cost. If another shipping method is requested, then we'll have to to discuss the price.

Contact me if interested.

Clear Skies,
      Anthony

• By Anthony RS
      Hello,
      I'm selling these 2 filters since I'm getting a mono astro cam. The filters are barely used and in perfect condition, no scratches, no fingerprints, not even dust. They are both amazing filters, probably the best investment I've made. I've attached some images
      taken with these filters, using a 100$ celestron newtonian, a 250$ Canon 500D and the infamous AVX. Also attached are images of the filters showing their perfect condition.
      Astronomik CLS-CCD Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/filter-gegen-lichtverschmtzung-filters-against-lightpollution-lpr/cls-ccd-filter/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-cls-ccd.html
      Original price including VAT is 155 Euros (around USD 182). I got it for around USD230 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 100.
      Astronomik Ha 12nm Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter/clip-filter-canon-aps-c/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-h-alpha-ccd-12nm.html
      Original price including VAT 194 Euros (around USD 228). Got it for around USD 270 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 150
      I am willing to ship them on my own expense using LibanPost (from Lebanon). Shipping might take time; if you would like to use some other shipment method please contact me to discuss the price. 
      Feel free to buy one or both together.
      Let me know if you have any questions. 
      You can also contact me on <private email address removed>
      Cheers,
      Anthony

• By Xiga
      A few months back, i bought my first mono camera, an Atik 383l+ from Martin @Xsubmariner off here. I hadn't had a chance to give it a whirl until last night. 
      I thought about getting the 80ED out, but i've been wanting to do some widefield stuff for a while, so i attached an old Tamron 135mm F2.8 vintage M42 lens i picked up last year for next to nothing. The lens needs to be stopped down to F5.6 (perhaps less, i haven't tested though) to produce acceptable stars in broadband, but i was hoping it could be used more wide open for Narrowband. I used step-down rings screwed on to the end of the lens hood to bring the aperture down to 37mm, which is about F3.65 (i did briefly try it wide open in Ha, and it wasn't that bad tbh, but i could still make out some comet-shaped stars in a few places so i opted to stop it down a bit to play it safe). I have a TS Optics filter drawer in the optical train, so i can still swap out filters without too much fuss. I still have about 3-4mm of extra backfocus space to spare, but i can already find focus as it is, so i'm not sure if it's that important that i haven't fully used it all up.
      Focusing was tough. I was focusing using a Bahtinov mask on Deneb, and i had to use 10s subs (subframes) at 2x2 bin to get bright enough spikes for Bahtinov Grabber to pick up to the spikes ok. Even then, it was showing the focus error moving about quite a bit, even without me touching the focus ring. In the end i just got it as close as i could and went with it.
      Conditions were not great. Some clear spells, but there was a lot of cloud passing through. I figures it would be good enough for a test session. The Phd guide graph looked horrific, and was somewhere in the 1-2" range (image scale is 8.4" so not a big deal hopefully). I bodged together a couple of old dovetails to add enough weight to counter-balance the 5Kg counterweight. It just about does. It's not perfect by any means, but hopefully sufficient for this purpose. 
      I would ideally like to shoot 1200s subs, but couldn't last night due to the constant clouds (Phd lost the guide star countless times). I was about to give up, but persisted and aimed for 600s subs. Glad i did, as i ended up with 6 useable subs, even if a couple were affected by some thin cloud. 
      Did a quick stack in APP and a 10 min process in PS, just to get a rough idea of what i can expect from this. I used Flats and a couple of Darks just to do a rough calibration. Didn't do any gradient reduction, was in too much of a hurry after packing up last night. Overall i'm fairly pleased with how it performed. I'm obviously not aiming for Samyang 135mm F2 levels of performance here, but for purely NB bi-colour mosaics i think it can do a job. 
      I've included a picture of the rig below as well, in case anyone's interested.
      CS.
      6 x 600s (1 Hr)
      Atik 383l+  2" Baader Ha 7nm
      Tamron Adaptall2 135mm F2.8 (@F3.65)

• By Horizon_Brave
      So...a question...let's say you want to shoot in a slightly light polluted area...but you also want to use the IR/UV cut filter...how can you use both then? You can only apply one filter at a time...so are is this a sort of 'pick your poison'? So you can't have IR/UV filtered along with Light pollution as well?
      For example here:
      https://expertphotography.com/best-astrophotography-filters/

There's a ton of great filters...but how is it possible if you need a light pollution filter because of the area you're in..but you also want to cut IR/UV ? It seems like you can only do one at a time.

Thanks all..
    • By MarsG76
      I managed to get some time to process another of my images exposed in January/February 2020.
      This was the last image when my USB port on my Astro40D failed. This happened while imaging this scene but it happened toward the end of the imaging plan so I got almost the subs that I wanted. The total exposure time was 16 hours and 16 minutes in ISO1600 for all of the subs, RGB, (OSC through the UV/IR Cut filter), HAlpha and OIII.
      Imaged through my 8" SCT at f6.3, 1280mm FL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.