SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A wee dark sky holiday

Davie27

Treating my wife for her birthday I booked a week away in a fantastic luxury cottage (at an out of season price :D) complete with hot tub, pool & log burner. 

The area has next to no light pollution so we sat waiting for the stars to come out.

After watching the sun setting behind the snow capped hills & putting on a great show for us the clouds started rolling in :(... As per usual Mother Nature has hidden the stars from us for another night so we had to settle for a night beside the log burner watching a dodgy horror move called "Babadook" :/

Ahhh well... There's always hope for tomorrow & if there's no stars then at least there can't be a worse movie than the crap that's just scalded my eyes tonight ?

image.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Floater said:

So where? Even where-ish?

13 minutes ago, Floater said:

So where? Even where-ish?

Gartmore, not too far away from Glasgow but far away enough not to be plagued by the usual city orange haze in the night sky.

13 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Hope the skies improve for you.

Me too!

Won't be a patch on some of the amazing star displays we have witnessed on our wild camping trips in places like the Cairngorms or the Isle of Skye but it will hopefully be better than my usual back garden view.

Fingers crossed for you, Davie. The forecast's not too bad and with a bit of luck you'll come good.

Enjoy the break anyhow.

Had a week in the far NW recently and managed only 30min one night and 10min another night with the scope. But it's what we do, isn't it?

??

24 minutes ago, Davie27 said:

Gartmore, not too far away from Glasgow but far away enough not to be plagued by the usual city orange haze in the night sky.

Me too!

Won't be a patch on some of the amazing star displays we have witnessed on our wild camping trips in places like the Cairngorms or the Isle of Skye but it will hopefully be better than my usual back garden view.

going to the isle of skye saturday :icon_biggrin:

that sounds ace where you are though

1 hour ago, Davie27 said:

Your in for a right treat when you get to Skye, hopefully you get a clear night or two...or three ?

i realy hope so dave, there is 4 of us going and the smallest scope is a 18" :eek:, should be brilliant

18" the smallest?? Are you all taking a truck each? Lol that's some amount of equipment to be transporting across the country :D I'm sure you'll be rewarded though.

i got my clear sky tonight & it was just stunning!!

We Sat in the hot tub with all the lights off & let the stars consume us.

Nights like this are better shared & I was lucky enough  to have my wife's company who gets just as inspired by the universe as I do when staring up into it ( our our small corner of it).

A perfect night sky view has a way of starting the deepest conversations doesn't it?

57 minutes ago, Soupy said:

Good luck with the rest of the holiday Davie but keep an ear out for that knock on the door...

BaBAba

"dook! Dook! DOOK!"

hehe.....

enjoy skye Faulksy Damian's been telling me all about it today!

we will try our best :icon_biggrin: i think damians going to be mum when we get there :icon_biggrin:

On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 22:24, Davie27 said:

18" the smallest?? Are you all taking a truck each? Lol that's some amount of equipment to be transporting across the country :D I'm sure you'll be rewarded though.

i got my clear sky tonight & it was just stunning!!

Good you have had some clear skies. Here's a piccy of three out of the four of the scopes we're taking so save some skies for us Davie 

20161002_153205~2~2.jpg

:grin:

14 hours ago, Soupy said:

Good luck with the rest of the holiday Davie but keep an ear out for that knock on the door...

BaBAba

"dook! Dook! DOOK!"

hehe.....

enjoy skye Faulksy Damian's been telling me all about it today!

Hahaha, yea the heating was banging through the night & my wife woke me up whispering "Did you hear that?" Lol

Shr didn't say it but I bet she thought of BabaDook :icon_biggrin:

10 hours ago, mapstar said:

Good you havd some clear skies. Here's a piccy of three out of the four of the scopes we're taking so save some skies for us Davie 

20161002_153205~2~2.jpg

:grin:

Wow!!!!

thats serious equipment!

Will you be going to a campsite with them?, wild camping?, or have you rented accommodation? 

On 23 November 2016 at 20:51, Floater said:

Well Davie, if the weather maps I've seen are anything even close to true, you're a jammie dodger, sir.

Hope you're enjoying skies to drown in. ?

Three nights on the trot now! Can't believe my luck. 

Im literally seeing stars everywhere :D 

Get yourself a week away and book at the "Back Borland holiday cottages" we were lucky enough to get the biggest one for £250 as they had a week they couldn't fill so sold it at a cut down price. 

Just under an hour away from Glasgow & the area is extremely dark.

Archived