Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help Improve Guiding

I have this guide scope with a Barlow fitted to QHY 5L-II Monochrome cam.

I fit the guide scope to all my telescopes with the same brackets.

Im getting movement of 2 or 3 arc seconds, and lots of wobbles.

Im setting the ascom setting to 70% and also setting the aggressiveness to 70% to 100% which i think its very high.

Is it the eq6 mount needed error correction or the guide scope moving?

Ive tried , smaller telescope with smaller weights, polar aligned using drift align phd2, and Balance the scope in all angles.

Any ideas what i can check next or is it the guide scope to small?

apm-straight-Finder-guider-scope-60mm.jp

Well, you could do with posting your guide logs and a picture of your set-up.

There is no way that anyone can judge if your guide scope is too small without you telling us exactly what it is. However, I would guess that it is 50-60 mm diameter and 180-200 mm fl. With the QHY, this will be just fine with your 400 mm fl Orion. PHD finds the centroid of the guide star to an accuracy much better than you would think.

But my first piece of advice would be to ditch the Barlow  on the guide scope - it's just adding potential errors to the system which could be in the form of amplifying flexure between the guide scope and the main OTA, or introducing it's own flexure with a less than perfect interface with the guide scope. There may be more that I can't think of right now :) 

Hi

Which imaging scope are you using? What's the unguided performance like over a minute or so? The barlow (without the lens, of course!) should be probably be ok if everything is really tight. If you're using the rings they have to be tight too. Also, it's best not to attach the guider via the finder shoe. Bolting via a dovetail direct to the scope rings is better.

Louise

17 hours ago, Pompey Monkey said:

There is no way that anyone can judge if your guide scope is too small without you telling us exactly what it is. However, I would guess that it is 50-60 mm diameter and 180-200 mm fl. With the QHY, this will be just fine with your 400 mm fl Orion. PHD finds the centroid of the guide star to an accuracy much better than you would think.

But my first piece of advice would be to ditch the Barlow  on the guide scope - it's just adding potential errors to the system which could be in the form of amplifying flexure between the guide scope and the main OTA, or introducing it's own flexure with a less than perfect interface with the guide scope. There may be more that I can't think of right now :) 

Ive tried, my ED90, skywatcher 1200mm FL 10inch mirror telescope, 10 Meade and they all have the same guide problems.

The first image was drift aligned, them moved to star and stared guiding and it goes wild.

Second image in small ed90 so not over doing the motors on the eq6, same guiding movement.

Third image is good guiding on my 10inch 1200mm FL mirror sky water.

20161117_190542.jpg

20161111_005706.jpg

20161003_214426.jpg

17 hours ago, Pompey Monkey said:

I used 3 different telescopes to see if i got the any better guiding.

ed90 , 10inch mirror 1200mm FL sky watcher, 10inch Meade. I been asked to check my cables and tighten my guide scope for starters.

Details in next message with guide photos.

Im after advice on ascom and phd2 setting on the scale of motor pulses.

51 minutes ago, kens said:

Just use the PHD2 guiding assistant for advice. And it is more useful to post the guide log for analysis rather than photos of a screen 

i will run that next time, ps. got a new telescope today. sky watcher ED 120mm FL 900mm F7.5 roll on some clear nights.

Get rid of the Barlow lens, secondly find out the focal length of the guide scope and add the guide scope length in mm into the brain settings of PhD 2, it should also connect to the camera and detect the pixel size of the camera, these two settings will allow PhD to make calculations and take fewer steps to start guiding and give better results, also the better the polar alignment the better it will be.

It looks like a TS 80mm finder, 328 mm focal length, I use one myself occasionally but with my reflector with it's so so rings I did get flex...

you dont need a barlow with it if you are using the qhy5- lii mono....it has 3.75um pixels giving 2.3 arcsec pixle scale

Ray

Archived