Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 8SE AC Power

Hi.

i haven just purchased my first telescope (Celestron Nexstar 8SE) and I'm trying to source the correct AC adapter for use in the UK. Does any know which is the correct one - 3 pin version and where I can get one. 

Many thanks

nick

Did you not get an AC adapter with the scope?. You want a 12v adapter. To run the scope you really need a power pack (battery). If you are near a mains.....then the AC adapter will do.

Power packs (leisure batteries) can be bought cheaply enough from the likes of Halfords. Much cheaper and last longer (17Ah) then branded ones which typically last about 7 Ah per session.

Maybe i'm confused about getting an AC adapter with my 8Se. I know you can run them off of AA batteries (they are expensive and will not last very long). A battery pack is much better. Its 12V anyway that you need.

If indeed you want to run the scope off of mains supply then something like this will do:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/baader-outdoor-telescope-power-supply-12v-5a.html

Of course this is Baader branded, so quite pricey. A non#branded run of the mill similar adapter will do the job.

1 hour ago, Rowens said:

Thanks Paul

i know you can use AA batteries and a 12v battery pack but I'm looking for a mains adapter for when I'm at home. I know they have one in the states. 

Nick

The States and the UK run off of different currents mains. Do you mean a 3 pin plug (UK style) as against a 2 pin plug (U.S. style)?. Would a simple travel plug adapter not do the job?.

Where is "at home"?. Are you in the UK most of the time or do you perhaps live most of the time in USA?. 

I'm a tad confused.

40 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

A 3pin  240v mains PSU delivering minimum 2amps 12v dc with a centre pin positive jack plug to suit the 12v input unit on the 8SE mount should be all you need. 3 pin to 2pin adapter for continental use are easy to source.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks Peter. 

Hi Nick,

I bought one of these recently and it works with my 8SE, HEQ5 and NEQ6. Their price is £27.99 with free P&P. Hopefully, this will do the trick for you unless you can find one cheaper although I'm wary of buying "cheap" electrical products for obvious reasons.

http://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/power-supplies/100240v-ac-input-12v-dc-5a-output-psu-with-right-angle-plug/

When I am at home I plug it into an outdoor grade orange extension cable which has RCD protection. These are more expensive to buy than standard extension leads, but a life is worth more than the £20 or so you'd pay for a decent outdoor cable.

Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck :)

13 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

Hi Nick,

I bought one of these recently and it works with my 8SE, HEQ5 and NEQ6. Their price is £27.99 with free P&P. Hopefully, this will do the trick for you unless you can find one cheaper although I'm wary of buying "cheap" electrical products for obvious reasons.

http://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/power-supplies/100240v-ac-input-12v-dc-5a-output-psu-with-right-angle-plug/

When I am at home I plug it into an outdoor grade orange extension cable which has RCD protection. These are more expensive to buy than standard extension leads, but a life is worth more than the £20 or so you'd pay for a decent outdoor cable.

Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck :)

Thanks 

That looks just what I'm looking for. Will order one today

cheers

nick

5 minutes ago, Rowens said:

Thanks 

That looks just what I'm looking for. Will order one today

cheers

nick

Hi Nick, just in case it wasn't clear, this product does not come with an alternative cigarette lighter type end for use with a powertank or such like. It just has the UK power plug. If you want to use the 8SE with a powertank you'll need a different power lead, although reading your original post it seems that you'll probably just be using mains power at home. Pleased I could help you. Just make sure you use the correct outdoor RCD protected extension cables when going outside with your scope. I've heard stories about people being blown across their gardens whilst using indoor grade extension leads. Not good. Safety first :)

Clear skies!

Vicky

Hi Nick,

See photo of the power adapter I bought, and also my outdoor grade extension cable. 

I have also taken a picture of the pin plug to cigarette plug adapter you'll need if using a power tank. I got this with my 8SE and although I did buy my scope second hand I presume it originally came with ths scope and you should be able to pick one up if you ever need to. 

However, if I am using my scopes and mounts away from home I do tend to run them off an inverter from my car as I find my powertank (which is the Celestron 7ah version) will only do a maximum of a couple of hours.

By the way, don't even try AA batteries. I did that the first time and they didn't last long. Waste of money.

Hope you get sorted.

Vicky

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 11 months later...

I bought a couple of of these from US for about $17 , about a year ago: 

NotAvailable55.jpg
Shipped
$16.95

Still available but more expensive: https://www.ebay.com/itm/192273903687

I think there's a new version now https://www.celestron.com/products/ac-adapter-2-amp

I prefer the previous version for the longer cable (I replaced the US lead with 10m UK lead)

http://www.cablewarehouse.co.uk/display_category.php?cat_id=3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz_jz3oms1wIVT5PtCh1yIgfOEAQYASABEgLfZPD_BwE

Archived