Observing with an SV90T

I've used 50mm and 60mm versions and the results are very good. My impression has been the filter sets give better results on other good OTA's than they do on the bespoke telescope. I preferred the view through a double stacked Lunt60 over a double stacked SV50 or a single stack SV60. I would love to do a side to side with a larger SV and a good PST mod of similar aperture.   :icon_biggrin:

You might get more insight from Cloudy Nights as SV seem to have quite a following in the U.S. There are a few interesting threads on Google that may be worth taking a look at. What I did notice is that SV advertise the SV90t as a fluorite refractor, which is a bit misleading, as it implies that one element is calcium fluorite when in fact it is FPL53. However, that shouldnt put you off if you think this might be the scope for you, as FPL53 in a high class triplet should be outstandingly good. If i were considering a SV scope though, id do plenty of research into it first, as SV dont seem to have the same kind of following in the UK as do TeleVue, Astrophysics, Tec, Vixen or Takahashi. Ive seen through a couple of amazingly good WO triplets of around the same aperture and also some by TMB, which I personally, as a visual observer, wouldn't give a second glance. Really what I'm trying to say is that scopes vary, sometimes significantly from one manufacturer to another, and not all scopes suit all purposes. Some are good all rounders, some great for imaging, while others are perfect for visual. 

Mike

They are reputed to be very good, as best I can tell for the 90mm it seems to be a bit of their lens alone. It does not match the WO Megrez 90 or the Primeluce 90mm.

It is a triplet, FPL53 and f/7 so they have not pushed the capabilities of the glass and should therefore I expect give excellent results.

The do not have the following here as there was nowhere to buy one. I looked some years ago and asked about having one shipped, SV would not ship as they had an "offical" distributor. One minor problem was that the distributer never actually had any in stock, never got a reply from SV when I pointed this out with a link to the stocked items page. Then after some time the distributor changed but again I found much the same. Everything said Out of Stock.

So even if you wanted one it was just not a possibility. I purchased a couple of WO scopes in the end. If I recall right the SV scopes went under the "Raptor" title back then. Think if I wanted one of decent size now I would get a Virgin flight and accommodation for around NY and go to the NEAF event. Probably easier and likely no more cost eventually.

Archived