Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cover for Telescope

Corkeyno2

Hey guys. Soon I am going to be getting a 12 inch Dobsonian telescope. It's the skywatcher 300p. I onlyhave room for it out the back so it will probably never come inside. I was afraid the telescope might get damaged when outside for a long time, so if anyone could recommend a good cover for it I would be extremely greatful.

Or am I just being stupid thinking I can leave it outside.

Thanks,

Corkey

It is not a good plan to leave it outside with just a cover as moisture will penetrate and invariably do harm. Is this the 300p flextube, If so is there not somewhere you could find a corner somewhere dry and sheltered?

Having a scope cover available for when using is a useful necessity, there  is a scope cover maker who periodically advertises on UK Astro buy and Sell who will make you one at a very reasonable cost (I had one made for my 8" dob).  

2 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

It is not a good plan to leave it outside with just a cover as moisture will penetrate and invariably do harm. Is this the 300p flextube, If so is there not somewhere you could find a corner somewhere dry and sheltered?

Having a scope cover available for when using is a useful necessity, there  is a scope cover maker who periodically advertises on UK Astro buy and Sell who will make you one at a very reasonable cost (I had one made for my 8" dob).  

Thanks. Do you think it will be okay if I have a few separate, smaller covers for the individual mirrors and eyepiece holder?

Yeah Leave it outside  Corkey, I left a Celestron C8 on a pier  with goto electronics outside for  two years under a scope coat when not in use without any problems.

You need a good scope coat mind. There are two types.  The occasional  star party type and the 7/365 type. Can only recommend the latter for permanent protection. Telegizmo Scope coat is the one to go for. bit pricey but so is the scope gear........Cheers Dave

Celestron C8 001.jpg

Celestron C8 002.jpg

Celestron C8 003.jpg

Celestron C8 004.jpg

4 minutes ago, Corkeyno2 said:

Could I just use a bunch of binbags? Or am I just being really stupid right now?

Let's just say that's not recommended :)

The real problem is that at the end of a session, with the scope covered in dew or frost, you are going to be putting your cover over the top of it... What do you think will happen?

ChrisH

4 minutes ago, Corkeyno2 said:

Could I just use a bunch of binbags? Or am I just being really stupid right now?

Definitely not! They will tear in the wind. 

Check out motorbike covers, I got an excellent one from amazon for £25. It was called 'Bikeit premiumXL'. Very heavyweight with soft lining.  

You could also get some dessicant packs to keep inside the OTA. 

I tried bin bags initiially but they promote condensation. I then tried a polythene single bed mattress cover,better but some condensation  before getting a scope coat. The scope coat had breathable pockets and experienced no further problems.

If it's 100% waterproof and condensation free, you've solved it Dave

I bought one of these from Greenwich at the IAS this year. Personally I think it's OK as an emergency cover, or if you don't want to pack down the scope late at night. I've even used it to cover the scope over several nights, removing it after the previous night's use to air in the morning.  But I wouldn't use it for permanent outdoor storage. 

Could you build or buy some outdoor storage?  How about a shed if you've got one? Or maybe persuade yourself you need one? 

image.jpeg

Leaving it outdoors as a permanent measure, even with a breathable cover in our damp and cool climate (then there is winter) will with your dob, at the very least impact on the mirror coatings and impact on the durability of the chip board dob base. Perhaps some kind of raised wood decking / platform might help. I use an astrozap scope coat for my 14" and also had one for my former 8" SCT, these are breathable. Great for overnight star camps or any trip away from home, however I value the longevity of my equipment and after each session will take them inside to air and dry overnight then store. Then fortunately my wife is tolerant of this.

16 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Leaving it outdoors as a permanent measure, even with a breathable cover in our damp and cool climate (then there is winter) will with your dob, at the very least impact on the mirror coatings and impact on the durability of the chip board dob base. Perhaps some kind of raised wood decking / platform might help. I use an astrozap scope coat for my 14" and also had one for my former 8" SCT, these are breathable. Great for overnight star camps or any trip away from home, however I value the longevity of my equipment and after each session will take them inside to air and dry overnight then store. Then fortunately my wife is tolerant of this.

I am thinking about having it sit on my patio. Do you think this will help?

Archived