solar filter

Hi there, I assume you have purchased an authentic and suitable solar filter designed for what is described as 'white light' viewing.  For example, Baader Solar Film.  Let us know what exactly you have purchased.  With such a white light filter you will see pretty much the view you have described.  The Sun is entering a 'quiet' period in its 11 year cycle and as a result sun spot activity is low.  In very good seeing conditions you may also see slight variations in the brightness of the Sun's surface (patches) and maybe a bit of texture or granulation.

3 minutes ago, kodos55557 said:

Ok,are there any differences between solar filters??

There are two sorts of Baader Solar film one visual one photographic, you should have the visual sort, there are other makes of varying quality.

Dave

Many different solar filters are avalable, ranging from a few tens of dollars to tenthousands. Different systems as well. As mentioned yours is a white light filter, Lunt produces H-alpha filters and solar wedges. Daystar Quark filters is yet another way, but also H-alpha. This kind of filtering is sub nanometer wavelength and measured in Angstrom (= 1/10 nanometer) if you do a google search you will find a lot of information. Be very carefull with your filter, even a tiny pinhole can cause huge damage to your eyes!

One Cannot State to Strongly the Absolute Danger to Your Eyes by Being Cavalier in Double-Checking Everything Before Viewing our Sun!

If using a front-mounted solar-film type of filter, check and re-check for any pinholes or tears before mounting it. Double-check the filter to be certain it is properly seated and cannot either slip or be blown-off the front of your telescope. It must fit TIGHTLY and stay tight.

There are two basic types of solar-film available - the most familiar being one from Baader which yields a white Sun. The other type gives a orange-yellow Sun, which some people prefer, though these lack as much detail in the Sun-image - not the best for fine details in any sunspots. But the orange-yellow Sun is very nice to one's eye, while the Baader white-light can be too bright for some folks - myself included.

There's a filter you can acquire which is said to make surface-detail - granulation - become a bit more evident. This filter is also from Baader: The Solar-Continuum Filter. It will, however, turn the Sun bright green. Others have found that just a simple colour-filter - No. 58 Green - works about as well and less £££. 

A word of warning is needed here: Under NO Circumstance use a Green or Solar-Continuum Filter without a front-end filter tightly attached to the telescope! And never use a SUN FILTER - these are little 1.25" filters that used to be part of the accessories that people would find in the box a cheap, department-store telescope came in - you know the type, they had a picture of Jupiter - HUGE - and the Andomeda Galaxy on the box. If you used these, then it most likely shattered, or melted, when the Sunlight came screaming through it! I'd suggest issuing a warning to everyone if you ever come across these atrocities from anywhere. Report it! I'd personally pin a medal on you!

Another good website to check into about our local star is this one from the USA:

http://www.spaceweather.com/

They give you a full report on solar activity - or lack of as I type this - including the possibilties of solar-flares. A good read - I've got it close to the top of my bookmarks-file.

I hope I haven't scared you too much to enjoy viewing our local star. Just be extremely careful, and tell these warnings to any & all people you meet who express interest in viewing the Sun.

Clear & Bright Skies,

Dave

I'm pleased to say the reason you saw a blank disk, is because the sun is blank in white light currently. Keeping trying, or what the solar imaging guys and sooner or later an active region will come along to see.

IMG_7396.PNG

Yes indeed - I had a look at Sol recently and there was no sunspot activity at all.  When there are sunspots, you can miss them if focusing is poor.  Also - a Solar Continuum Filter at the eyepiece end can give more detail/contrast in what you see.

Finally - do heed the safety advice of others on this matter.

Have fun,

Doug.

Archived