My basket, talk to me at the checkoot......

If you're not in an obsy of some sort, I'd go with a more portable imaging setup with a shorter focal length e.g. HEQ5 pro or AVX for the mount and a 130pds or ED80 for the imaging scope. You'll get away with a lot more unguided this way and also it will seem less of a chore dragging it all out and back it again. 

I'd go with a second scope purely for visual, Dob's are popular pure visual scopes, but some like the crisper refractor views at the cost of not going as deep. Binos are also a great visual tool too in edition to the former :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

That's a good product for the EQ6.

Can't agree on guiding, though. Don't try it on the first night but by the second I'd want to be working through it...

Olly

Considering the low number of posts, the OP is probably new to all this. As such, I assume that his won't be a permanent setup from the beginning. Getting to grips with a new setup, such as polar alignment, goto alignment, balancing, collimating (newt), focusing, etc, can be quite daunting. Add to that the limited number of cloudless nights we've had, and with that the limited time to practice, I think that he'll be occupied for most of the imaging season. But, if it's a smooth ride, go for guiding.

Just my 0.02 €

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

OMNI XLT 150 Reflector.

I'm so new, the midwifes not even handed me back to my mother yet!
Your 0.02p worth is more than greatly appreciated and wlcomed :-)
Looks like the tripod/mount will be the Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro GOTO.

The scope a lot of people are saying )on my other thread) is the Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED DS Pro, which should work pretty much 'out of the box'

I've now learnt that because of where I live, 53% above the equator That mount may not be stable enough, well thats what I gathered :-/

1 hour ago, TheShape said:

I'm so new, the midwifes not even handed me back to my mother yet!
Your 0.02p worth is more than greatly appreciated and wlcomed :-)
Looks like the tripod/mount will be the Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro GOTO.

The scope a lot of people are saying )on my other thread) is the Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED DS Pro, which should work pretty much 'out of the box'

I've now learnt that because of where I live, 53% above the equator That mount may not be stable enough, well thats what I gathered :-/

I can't see why 53 degrees north would be a problem. Anyway you can tip a tripod slightly towards the north to gain a couple of degrees if necessary. Contrary to popular belief mounts don't need to be levelled, and certainly having them tilted N-S affects nothing at all provided you don't overdo it and make the tripod unstable.

Olly

Don't get me wrong the Ed80 is a fine scope offering good performance even over some triplets. For beginners and even advanced users imaging with a ed80 with experienced hands can produce fantastic results. One thing you might find something like 200pds how easy it catches the wind especially with a dew shield attached.

Nice thing about reflectors if you want good star colour with good size aperture without breaking the bank and any CA, reflectors is the way to go.

I have had a few Newtonian scopes in the past, but found celestron scopes better in quality control and mirrors better made, such my recommendation for the Omni reflector.

Archived