Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

morayskies

EQDIRECT control of EQ5 Pro Mount Not Working

Hi All

I have recently acquired an EQ5 Pro mount and wish to control it using EQMOD, however, I cannot control the mount with a cable linking directly to the SynScan EQ5 switch box.

This does work;

1. USB to Serial converter plugged into Windows 8.1 laptop
  2. Cable from Serial converter to SynScan hand controller
  3. Hand controller set to 'PC Direct'

With the above configuration everything works fine.  I have read somewhere that it is advisable to take the hand controller out of circuit all together so, to this end, I have purchased a Serial to RJ45 connector lead. So I have configured the setup like this;

1. USB to serial converter plugged into Windows 8.1 laptop (as 1. above)
  2. New cable goes from Serial converter directly to 'Hand Controller' socket on the SynScan EQ5 switch box (SynScan Hand Controller now completely out of circuit)

This does not work!

With power at the mount turned on when I select 'ASCOM Connect' via the EQASCOM Toolbox,  the EQMOD HEQ5/6 window opens with a 'Connect Error: Timeout'.  I understand that this error message would indicate that the Port has been found OK but there is no response from the mount.  I have double checked the COM port number but it is fine.  I have tried a second USB to Serial adaptor I have and it gives me the same result - a 'timeout' error.  The only thing I can see that is at fault is the Serial to RJ45 cable between the Serial adaptor and the SynScan unit.  This cable is brand new so not likely (although not impossible) to be the cause.

Has anybody else had this issue with the EQ5 Pro mount or am I missing something fundamental :help:?

Thanks for looking.

The usual weak link is the USB/serial adapter, but I think it might be the USB / RJ45 adapter. Where did you purchase the adapter and is it an EQDir adapter  or just USB to RJ45 ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The usual weak link is the USB/serial adapter, but I think it might be the USB / RJ45 adapter. Where did you purchase the adapter and is it an EQDir adapter  or just USB to RJ45 ?

The USB/serial adaptor works fine when coupled with a Serial/RJ11 cable which plugs into the hand controller in PC Direct mode.  All I have done is replace the Serial/RJ11 cale with a Serial/RJ45 cable and plugged this into the SynScan motor control box Hand Controller port.  The new cable was off eBay so not expensive and, to be honest, I think it is this that is causing the problem.

2 hours ago, mark skelton said:

This would be a better option, however, I thought I would try saving a few pennies as I already have the USB/Serial adaptor.  Guess you 'gets what you pay for' and I may well end up getting one of these from FLO. Ho hum :hmh:

7 minutes ago, morayskies said:

The USB/serial adaptor works fine when coupled with a Serial/RJ11 cable which plugs into the hand controller in PC Direct mode.  All I have done is replace the Serial/RJ11 cale with a Serial/RJ45 cable and plugged this into the SynScan motor control box Hand Controller port.  The new cable was off eBay so not expensive and, to be honest, I think it is this that is causing the problem.

I suspect it is the RJ45 adapter.

• Like 1

The Serial/RJ45 cable you have may not have the correct connections. The only way to verify this is to measure the pinout connections with an ohmmeter. The Synscan manual should have the right connections in the appendix.

I have also read that some usb/serial adapters can be quirky and may stop functioning. your best bet is to get the FLO adapter. I have the older version for my AZ-EQ6 and it works great.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies and advice guys.  Since posting I have had a successful imaging evening (including pulse guiding using PHD) by using my previous connecting cable (RJ11) connected to the hand controller and setting the controller option to 'PC Direct'.  Not the ideal, but it is at least working.  I shall investigate why I cannot use the RJ45 connection in slow time.

Clear Skies