Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Naming a Star.

TheShape

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Let it henceforth be known that the galaxy formerly known as m31 or the Andromeda Galaxy is now known as 'The Stub Galaxy' I have save a a copy of my certificate on this computer and I'm off to update the Wikipedia entry.

Perhaps the mods would be kind enough to prioritise working through the website correcting all the now-obsolete and inaccurate references so they now celebrate the Stub Galaxy.

P.S. In recognition of the musical achievements of The Mamas and The Papas the central star of Cassiopeia will henceforth be known as 'Mama Cass'.

If you can hang about for around 3.5 Billion Years, M31 will come visit you Stub. :lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, TheShape said:

Oh dear, wish I'd not bothered now lol. I was dead pleased with my purchase. These replies have made me feel 'a bit silly' now. Live and learn as they say. Maybe next time I'll ask here first. Some replies more than made up for my loss. 

Can a forum moderator please save me any more ridicule by closing this thread :-) 

I understand u bro. 

At the end of the day, naming a star for someone as a gift is a lovely gesture. Sure its not OFFICIAL, but as with ANY gift.........its the thought that counts.

I named my dog "Chara" after a star in the constellation of Canes Venatici (the hunting dogs). Apt name as the word "Chara" means friend in Gaelic.

Does this count?.

LOL.

13 hours ago, TheShape said:

Oh dear, wish I'd not bothered now lol. I was dead pleased with my purchase. These replies have made me feel 'a bit silly' now. Live and learn as they say. Maybe next time I'll ask here first. Some replies more than made up for my loss. 

Can a forum moderator please save me any more ridicule by closing this thread :-) 

Shape,  
Why on earth are you embarrassed, no one has set out to make you feel foolish. This is forum banter, and besides, threads are never deleted, and certainly
not on the grounds of embarrassment. So, give yourself a shake, and carry on having a laugh and a joke, it's good for you. Astronomy isn't seriously serious.
Anyway, that Certificate looks nice, and I wouldn't mind one, but I'll make my own, as soon as I find a spare star up there :lol:.

4 minutes ago, barkis said:

Shape,  
Why on earth are you embarrassed, no one has set out to make you feel foolish. This is forum banter, and besides, threads are never deleted, and certainly
not on the grounds of embarrassment. So, give yourself a shake, and carry on having a laugh and a joke, it's good for you. Astronomy isn't seriously serious.
Anyway, that Certificate looks nice, and I wouldn't mind one, but I'll make my own, as soon as I find a spare star up there :lol:.

Lol I have very thick skin (akin to Judith charmers leather). I can take a ribbing for sure. I just got all excited that I thought I'd got a proper star I could show my kids etc. I just meant I felt a bit silly parting with my money on a bit of paper.... Which btw I even have to print myself lol. A fool and their money as they say.....  :-) 

You aren't the first and certainly won't be the last person on here to 'buy a star' :)  If the seller were doing it for charitable reasons I'd be all for it but it's just some sharp character with a nice little earner..

ChrisH

Edit: I should add that any ire is being targetted at the people selling the stars as a little business - not you!

21 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

A sound point! Now in my own forthcoming 'naming' business I intend to offer for naming in my International Registry only things that I actually own. So stains in my carpet will be offered to those wishing to send certificates to their mothers in law at Christmas... etc. 

:evil4:lly

I'm tempted, Olly.  Can you post some photos of those stains?

Doug.

11 minutes ago, TheShape said:

With a magnitude of just under 18 I'll never see it :-) 

Thanks for looking it up. 

That's ok, 

At mag 18 you will need a decent tracking mount, good quality telescope and experience with long exposure photography to pick it up but it certainly is possible.

Dan :happy7:

29 minutes ago, spaceman_spiff said:

That's ok, 

At mag 18 you will need a decent tracking mount, good quality telescope and experience with long exposure photography to pick it up but it certainly is possible.

Dan :happy7:

...And you could go online to one of them there online telescope thingy sites and request they take a photo of the area in one of those big telescopes.  :hello2:

A late responder, but with a completely different take on this. Although the seller's motivation is questionable, and the concept may be quite scammish, the motivation behind the gift and the appreciation shown by the recipient is typically genuine and often moving. Stars are often "named" after deceased relatives, spouses and even children, and often received as memorial gifts. My coworkers once gave a named star gift to a colleague who had lost her toddler grandson in a tragic accident. Knowing my interest in astrophotography, they asked me if I could take a "real" picture of it, which I did happily despite knowing the "scammish" origins of the registry. It was so well received, and the recipient was moved, as was I by her reaction. I have since had multiple similar requests. It gives me great satisfaction to find these stars, image them in their local starfield, artistically embellish, frame and present them in a way that adds something personal. It really is the intent behind the gift and not its dubious origin. And it would be sad to cheapen the sentiment by suggesting to a recipient of one of these star gifts that they are anything less than genuine, even knowing that only the IAU can name celestial objects.

Derek

On 18/11/2016 at 11:33, ChrisLX200 said:

You were ripped off - for just £50 I could have sold you an entire globular cluster..

ChrisH

A couple of years ago a friend asked me to take a picture of the "star" his wife had just "bought" him, I think she paid £20.00 at the time which I thought was an absolutely cracking bargain as the "star" was M87!

Mike

Archived