Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Naming a Star.

TheShape

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

We should dolphinitely scale back on the fish puns. What do you think? Please let minnow.

:BangHead::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Zak is back. It's been a bit too much like the lounge in a retirement home here without him. However, we do need a batter class of fish jokes.

Olly

If a tribe in remote jungle call Orion "The Great Jelly Monster" who is to say they aren't right.

Many  countries have their own names for constellations and stars so the I.A.U.'s attempts to standardise them to some pseudo Anglicised list is probably not going to alter much.

Unless they want to start again ala Carl Linnaeus they may as well let folks maintain the status quo in their particular neck of the woods.

I have no problem with some enterprising person taking the time to set up a database and print pretty certificates especially as this particular company have managed to maintain it for a few years.

The wonderful thing about the Universe is that nobody "owns" it ATM, some no doubt have their eye on the Moon and Mars in the same way the our ancestors viewed the Americas, Africa, Australia etc, and in a few thousand years some megalomaniac will be trying to rule the Galaxy, just human ( inhuman ? ) nature, luckily I won't be here.

Dave

13 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Zak is back. It's been a bit too much like the lounge in a retirement home here without him. However, we do need a batter class of fish jokes.

Olly

Never went away.

Just drowning a bit in work commitments and constant crummy weather. I need to move to a plaice with better skies in order to give my astronomy a better sense of porpoise. It's a turtle disaster trying to image on the Lancashire coast.

<fish puns....groan:evil62: >

8 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

Never went away.

Just drowning a bit in work commitments and constant crummy weather. I need to move to a plaice with better skies in order to give my astronomy a better sense of porpoise. It's a turtle disaster trying to image on the Lancashire coast.

<fish puns....groan:evil62: >

Lancashire born and bread myself, too. Once lived in Southport within a hundred yards of the beach (though still thirty miles from the sea...:eek:)

Olly

2 hours ago, Woolnut said:

Sounds like the same sort of trick when people buy Lordships by gaining a piece of land the size of a 2p coin in the middle of nowhere! Either way the certificate is cool :icon_biggrin:

Darn!  Would you believe it!  Named my star AFG-OOBY.1946 and framed the certificate.  Named myself Laird A.F.G.Hayes Esq. when I was given a square foot of Scottish Glen.  Even framed the certificate.

And NOW you tell me it's all a con! Doh!

:dontknow:

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Lancashire born and bread myself, too. Once lived in Southport within a hundred yards of the beach (though still thirty miles from the sea...:eek:)

White sliced or healthy wholemeal?

Or are we doing bread puns now too? I'm having naan of that y'know.

41 minutes ago, oobydooby said:

Darn!  Would you believe it!  Named my star AFG-OOBY.1946 and framed the certificate.  Named myself Laird A.F.G.Hayes Esq. when I was given a square foot of Scottish Glen.  Even framed the certificate.

And NOW you tell me it's all a con! Doh!

:dontknow:

Whoops :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

7 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

These days I'm too crusty to put up with half baked bread jokes. Anyway, got to dash, I've got a pun in the oven...

Is there anyway I can get a slice of the action here? I need something to stop me just loafing around all day.

To the OP, you have my sympathies for the appalling puns hitting your thread now. I know there are some strong reactions to these certificates, but I think if you enjoy it and know what you are purchasing then why not? It's a bit of harmless fun so just ignore all the detractors and be proud of 'your' star.

3 hours ago, TheShape said:

Mines in Pisces....

Take the to the small claims court and let the scales of justice take care of these scammers!!!

Honestly if you like it that is all that matters. To be honest what £12?? a few pints in the pub these days and they could have been off and left half drank.

3 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

You were ripped off - for just £50 I could have sold you an entire globular cluster..

ChrisH

Someone bought my daughter M54 as a gift when she was born.    I took an image of it when I visited Nambia a few years ago,  at least it rose above the horizon there ;-) 

Let it henceforth be known that the galaxy formerly known as m31 or the Andromeda Galaxy is now known as 'The Stub Galaxy' I have save a a copy of my certificate on this computer and I'm off to update the Wikipedia entry.

Perhaps the mods would be kind enough to prioritise working through the website correcting all the now-obsolete and inaccurate references so they now celebrate the Stub Galaxy.

P.S. In recognition of the musical achievements of The Mamas and The Papas the central star of Cassiopeia will henceforth be known as 'Mama Cass'.

I'd be a bit miffed if they sold me one (Fat Chance),   and it was a Mag. 24
 and buried somewhere in  the  Scutum Star Cloud :eek:.
I wonder just how many buyers have actually located and seen 'their' Star.
Even assisted by an Astronomer with a telescope ?

Archived