Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Steve Ward

Ralph Bell ... R.I.P.

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing this morning of my dear freind Ralph Bell after a courageous battle with cancer.

Known to some of you from his days at the Astronomy and Nature Centre in Ely where he spent his Saturdays dishing out such good advice to visitors , whether it be about 'scopes , imaging or general astronomy issues , and those that were not lucky enough to have met him at the shop will know him from the numerous videos he made for the "Astronomy and Nature TV" YouTube channel.

He was solely responsible for getting me started on my journey into exploring and imaging the night sky , without his hours of patient tutoring I would still be in the garden armed just with a cheap binocular thinking what might be possible.

I last met up with him at Kelling just a few weeks back where he was in great form and high spirits , it's a real shock to have heard that he lost his battle so soon.

Rest in peace mate , the world in general and the world of astronomy will be an emptier place without you ... :cry:

Edited by Steve Ward
  • Like 10

Condolences on losing a friend Steve, only knew him from his many videos.

Dave

its terrible to lose a friend and mentor, sounds like a great chap, life is so short mate. condolences to his friends and family.  charl.

Sad.  @happy-kat - Was that the video about setting circles?  I watched it yesterday.  And I've benefited from others by the same chap.

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper

Always a very heart wrenching time when you lose someone you knew well, especially when it was  a good friend.
I think most of us will have endured the same awful sadness at some time in our lives Steve.
I hope the happy memories you must have of Ralph, will help you to come to terms with
your loss. We hope so.

• Like 1

Very sad news.. On many times i spoke to him at the Astronomy and Nature Centre as it was nearby. Also at exhibition shows and at his talks and lectures.

A great bloke who never rushed you along and always had time to explain things and done good work for astronomy.

Proper Shame.

For anyone who might want to attend Ralph's funeral .

It will take place on Monday 28th November at 2:30 pm at the Peterborough Crematorium , Mowbray Rd , Peterborough , PE6 7JE.