Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Stub Mandrel

Birthday Book: Chris Hadfield's ISS Photos

My Daughter gave me a really nice birthday present today; Chris Hadfield's book 'You Are Here - Around the World in 92 Minutes'.

She said as you try taking photos of the ISS I thought this would be the other way round :-)

It's a spectacular collection of photos he took from the ISS. Every one is fascinating and visually stunning. Part of the appeal is that these are him capturing the world as it rolled past, picking on what caught his eye or imagination, more composed than the usual 'straight down' satellite pictures.

He doesn't preach, but lets the images and the facts behind them speak for themselves and they tell a sobering tale about the extent of our impact on the planet.

Slightly quirky presentation is done tastefully and complements rather than detracts from the photos.

• Like 4

A lovely present - and happy birthday!

I'll have to look up the book - always was a sucker for Earth views!

• Like 1

It's a lovely book isn't it?

I received a copy as a gift too, very interesting from a perspective you don't get to see too often. Enjoy your copy, I love the thinking behind getting a copy for you too.

• Like 1

I also received a copy as a gift from work (we celebrate work anniversaries rather than birthdays here). 

Cracking book! Ypu'll love it! 

Ant

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JB80 said:

It's a lovely book isn't it?

I received a copy as a gift too, very interesting from a perspective you don't get to see too often. Enjoy your copy, I love the thinking behind getting a copy for you too.

It's always nice when someone chooses something apt.

• Like 2

My sis got it me last christmas. Strange how she thinks I should be looking down instead of up :Envy:

• Like 2