Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Had a big clear out a few years ago and sold my Meade ETX70AT and regretted it ever since but didn't want to buy anything that was not quick easy to use and portable then I got the chance of buying and bought a pair of Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binoculars, I particularly liked the tripod mount on them but the question is did I choose well?

Got them yesterday and as you can guess it was cloudy when I got home lol

These can be very good for the price. Observing with higher power binoculars is a style all of its own, although you won't have the possibilities of magnification that a telescope gives - many targets can be better. Hope you enjoy them!

There are a lot of resources for astronomy with binoculars. You can download for free John Flannery's Binocular Certificate Handbook which he produced for the Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies at www.iasindy.org/documents/astronomy101/IFAS%20Binocular%20Handbook.pdf It provides some very interesting targets.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I used them last night and I was very happy, obviously not as good as a scope which will be added very soon (when I figure out which one to buy and sneak it past my wife) but for portability and a learning tool I'm very happy.

On 17/11/2016 at 14:32, happy-kat said:

Have you got a chair to use when observing with them?

Nope I don't have a chair yet but I'm looking, what's the best one to get?

Just for fun, here's a couple of ATS women from WW2 using a spotter's chair to observe enemy aircraft:

spotters.jpg

There was even a "toy" model:

spotter-model.jpg

To be honest, it doesn't look too comfortable - perhaps to prevent you taking a snooze while on duty.

A lot of people create their own, usually with some sort of bar to support the binoculars in front of your eyes. So, if you have a spare dentist's chair lying around... :icon_biggrin:

You can also use a photographic tripod with a horizontal bar beside your chair, or if the binoculars are too heavy, use a parallelogram mount: http://www.randombio.com/binoculars.html

spotter-model.jpg

Archived