Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stacking RAW moon images using DSS

Guest Tuomo

Ensimmäinen kuu.jpg

Here is the moon image I posted in lunar section.

I have one problem though. I noticed that moon image above is NOT stacked because deep sky stacker warned me with message: Only 1 frame out of 100 (ish) will be stacked. First I did not bother with this, but last night I tried to make another image and warning message popped again and got my attention.

What I have tried so far: Tried to crop large RAW files with pipp with only lunar circle in the middle. This reduced file count to 5-10 because there was just few full lunar circle images. Most of the time small part of moon was missing = pipp could not crop image correctly. Even with pipp cropping DSS could not stack images.

What I think: Picture is still out of focus. I tried to focus image (with motor focuser) in 10 x live view using moon craters near the moon edge. I think I did well enough. Should I try to focus camera with craters in the middle of the moon? Or should I try to focus camera using stars and then take pictures out of moon?

Image above is good, but I think it is bit blurry near the craters when zoomed in. I really wanted to make better and crispier version of large raw file and maybe even make large print out of it

DSS is not for planets but as the name suggests stars and deep sky stuff. Try AS!2 or Registax6 both fee downloads. I have found I get better results if I centre and change to TIF in PIPP first ( also free download) 

Thank you guys for the info. I think I need to download latest AS!2.

So are you guys telling me  I should only try to stack frames out from video file?

I personally would not shoot video with a DSLR for lunar, unless it produces uncompressed video. Compression artefacts ruin the results, particular when sharpening. With a DSLR, shoot stills, centre and convert to TIFF with PIPP, and stack those in AS!2. Final sharpening in ImPPG works best for me.

8 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I personally would not shoot video with a DSLR for lunar, unless it produces uncompressed video. Compression artefacts ruin the results, particular when sharpening. With a DSLR, shoot stills, centre and convert to TIFF with PIPP, and stack those in AS!2. Final sharpening in ImPPG works best for me.

Thats what I would do too. I try to use AS!2 and see what comes out of it.

23 minutes ago, wornish said:

Taking a series of individual frames on a DSLR will give far better results than using it in video mode.  The resolution is much higher and AS2 or Registax 6 will do a good job stacking them. 

Yes. I have read that Registax is made for webcam astronomy and its not good with large files. Is that correct?

Paras kuu.jpg

So heres the new moon. I think theres MAJOR improvement. I managed to stack everything (only 8 images) when using 64 bit AS!2 and pipp. I really want to thank you guys!

Archived