Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

orion25

A Really Supermoon!

November 14, 2016, the closest moon approach since 1948! A scant 221,524 miles away, the moon won't be nearly this close again until November 25, 2034. Smoke from North Georgia wildfires casts a thin veil over the night sky, but not enough to blot out the SUPERMOON!

Cheers and high tides!

Reggie

• Like 5

great vid Reggie, nothing but cloud and fog here in south wales, but after seeing your vid I don't feel as bad for missing it.  thanks, charl.

• Like 1

I find that the most obvious difference at Supermoon is the increased visual brightness, excellent though they are, the stand alone images could be any full moon unless they are either paired with a "normal" image with the same photographic specifications or against some form of backdrop.  :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I find that the most obvious difference at Supermoon is the increased visual brightness, excellent though they are, the stand alone images could be any full moon unless they are either paired with a "normal" image with the same photographic specifications or against some form of backdrop.  :icon_biggrin:

Yes, you're right, Peter, about the stand-alone images. And the term "supermoon" has been applied rather loosely over the past few years to apply to any monthly perigee. I'd like to catch several moonrises, including a Supermoon, for comparison at some point. But for now, it's enough for me to know that this one is especially close, at least until 2034! :happy6:

9 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Stunning Reggie. Cloud here and saw nothing

Thanks, John, and this video was shot through a thin veil of smoke from wildfires to the north. It's been very dry here, which is good for astronomy, but dangerous for fires. I would actually appreciate a little cloud WITH RAIN to clear things out (but only for a few days)!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

great vid Reggie, nothing but cloud and fog here in south wales, but after seeing your vid I don't feel as bad for missing it.  thanks, charl.

Thanks, Charl. Though it's been smoky here, with the winds blowing off wildfires to the north. We need a little cloud and rain to clear things out!

On 11/15/2016 at 18:01, laudropb said:

Lovely video. Rained here for the last 3 days so no view possible.

Thanks. I hope it clears there, soon. We really need rain here?