Hi

does anyone use 'Skywire' via Skysafari to control a Celestron Evolution with the starsence accessory fitted?

My queries are these: What is the maximum cable length that can be used and are there any suppliers?

and does Skysafari recognise the starsence accessory for initial Goto alignment ?

Thanks people

Bill

(Williamnohair)

I don't, as Skywire will only work with an I-Device and I instead  use an Android device with my Evolution with Starsense. But via Skywire, I suspect that SkySafari  5 Plus (£10.99) or Pro (£19.99) should handle Evolution GoTo just fine. 

But I am curious. Why require Skywire to tablet/phone when the Evolution has built in WiFi? Are you having WiFi problems? Is a Skywire solution hence a last resort?

If yes, don't assume such issues with the Evolution  are due to "WiFi Clutter" (which is the popular belief). I had six months of poor WiFi connectivity until I updated my Evolution's  firmware, and also found and disabled a nuisance (hidden) battery saving APP in my tablet that was automatically switching off SkySafari (or SkyPortal) after n minutes of inactivity.  Now I don't suffer from any disconnects. Even Celestron didn't know of this APP issue as these are not native to IOS or 'lollipop' operating systems and are typically installed within bundles dumped on you by UK telecoms providers. Celestron is in the process of updating guidance.

A switch to Access Point Mode is another solution for many typical Evolution WiFi issues. Using Raspberry Pi as a hotspot is another. So if your question about cabled solutions is provoked by WiFi issues,  let's see if we can assist.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Welsh Dave
      Hello Ladies & Gentleman,
      I would in need of require your assistance for my current tube that I have got. 
      I currently have a Celestron Starlight XLT tube and I am looking for a new Finderscope (This one did not come with as I bought it of one of my Uni friends). I am not fussed into the red dot sites and I would like someone similar to the EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC ES 8x50. 
      Any questions by all means ask :) 

• By Abhishek Pawse
      Hi guys. Please tell me if collimation is required for the celestron 9.25 edge HD  after using the hyper star system( after putting back the secondary mirror in its place ). Or it holds its collimation.?
      Thanks In advance for help :)
    • By BenR
      Hello
      I am new to astronomy, and recently purchased a Celestron Starsense Explorer LT 114AZ, and just for a start, I used the finderscope to locate exactly a random star, and I looked through the eyepiece and just saw a blurry white image. I was using a 25mm eyepiece lens, and then decided to put on the 2x Barlow lens with the 25mm lens, and nothing changed. Is this normal? What should I do to improve?
      Thanks.
    • By Mike Read
      Morning,
      I currently have a Celestron 9.25" SCT and am in the process of upgrading the focuser to baader steeltrack. I have the f/6.3 FR on back order. My question is: where will the FR fit in the image train? Is it compatible?
      Thanks Mike
    • By James1967
      Ok, after lots of research, I finally decided on the above and just ordered with FLO.  Now got a few weeks wait so can keep exploring the sky manually with by binoculars and learn as many pitfalls as possible about the Evo 9.25”.  The only accessory I ordered for now is a dew shield, but I’m expecting I will want to get a 2” visual back, star diagonal and wide angle eyepiece (possibly 0.63 focal reducer too) to get the max field of view possible when I so choose.  Any views on whether StarSense is worth it - it seems pretty simple to align without it (I may come to regret saying this)
      So why am I posting?  Just after any and all advice for a beginner, in particular regarding maximising field of view down the line (the relatively narrow FOV was the only real downside of the Evo 9.25” for me) and any recommended accessories to enhance my viewing pleasure over time.  Any other general top tips also very welcome. 
      I look forward to being able to help others in due course when I have something more than roughly zero knowledge and experience!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.