Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pulling new detail from old data

johnrt

Not much imaging happening here in tropical Kent, so in preparation for M82 swinging in to view again I've been seeing how much I can pull out of some LRGB data from very early 2015.

My goal was to see just exactly how much of the jets I can reveal. The image presented here is a mix of luminance and red broadband data, brought to you in glorious in mono.

I don't think it is possible to get any further without dipping in to the world of narrowband on the jets, but I'm more than a little surprised just how much of the ionised hydrogen plumes there is here in my broadband data.

I'm looking forward to getting some time on this over the next couple of months!

Thanks for looking

:)

m82.jpg

I'm surprised how much of the jets show up in the two channels John, very interesting.

If you want it for comparison I have some very long subs using a Ha filter on M82. They are at least an hour as I recall, possibly up to 3 hours in length, I don't recall exactly. Just shout if you fancy a butchers

3 minutes ago, Tim said:

I'm surprised how much of the jets show up in the two channels John, very interesting.

If you want it for comparison I have some very long subs using a Ha filter on M82. They are at least an hour as I recall, possibly up to 3 hours in length, I don't recall exactly. Just shout if you fancy a butchers

Wow, those are long subs, I'd love to have a look!

Hi John, I've attached a 2 hour Ha exposure for comparison

It was at f7 in my C11, binned 2x2 with Atik 460ex mono.  I'm pretty sure I have a three hour version somewhere too, will keep looking.

Sometimes if I have finished a target or need sleep or just fancy mucking about I will do these long subs a an exercise. The difference between your red and Lum subs and this is not really that significant, given the extra time spent on it.

Cheers

Tim

M82 two hours lol Ha 2x2 7200 guided_001.tif

9 hours ago, Tim said:

Hi John, I've attached a 2 hour Ha exposure for comparison

It was at f7 in my C11, binned 2x2 with Atik 460ex mono.  I'm pretty sure I have a three hour version somewhere too, will keep looking.

Sometimes if I have finished a target or need sleep or just fancy mucking about I will do these long subs a an exercise. The difference between your red and Lum subs and this is not really that significant, given the extra time spent on it.

Cheers

Tim

M82 two hours lol Ha 2x2 7200 guided_001.tif

Thanks for that Tim, very interesting. I doubt I'll go for subs that long though! :p

7 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Luminance will include the Ha data along with everything else fo course.  Adding the Ha will provide the crispness and specific detail.  Great idea to investigate (i have been experimenting with different processing techniques with lum data to for maximum detail).  Nice work Paddy

Cheers Paddy, as you say the Ha is in there everywhere, but there is nothing like a dedicated Ha (3nm if can afford it) filter to isolate and bring it in to it's own. There is plenty of Ha to be captured here as Tim's 2 hour sub proves, just need these clouds to budge and for M82 to clear the trees that blight my imaging location a little earlier!

Here you will likely benefit from just 3nm Ha - but under UK skies i think 5nm is normally fine, well actually very good and possibly better at times than 3nm in UK.  3nm restricts the bandwidth enough to cut out the traces of Nii that are passed at 5nm.  

Don't get me wrong ideal skies or longer subs at 3nm wins but 5nm actually can provide some additional data 3nm can not.  So bit more data in the same time, think you get the logic.  I have tried 3nm and it was cleaner but on occasions to soft with it.  I also had an Nii filter bit mixing Nii back into Ha was not a simple task so net result was I lost some signal.

Just thought i would mention that :) 

Paddy

• 2 weeks later...

2 fantastic clear nights, and after my main RGB target has sunk too low to continue, I have pointed the RC at M82 to collect Ha data with my 3nm Astrodon until dawn, while I'm safely tucked away in bed.

So this is how far 8 hours of subs has got me in to those jets, it's stretched kicking and screaming to within an inch of it's life, hence the noise and a little vertical banding, but that matters not as it will only end up in a red colour blend later in life.

Some additional RGB needed before I complete this in to a new colour image, combined with my 2015 data.

M82Ha_registered.jpg

20 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Looking forwards to the progress John, had my first proper go with the Astrodon 3nm HA the last couple of nights but not looked at them yet.

How's the pier going ?

Dave

Hi Dave, just waiting on delivery on the anchor sleeves and resin to arrive, then I can get the pier ordered. The concrete base is all dug, poured and ready to go.

Archived