Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from WV (USA)

Smyrnian

I always feel silly writing "hello" posts to forums but this one seems very inviting so here goes :)

My brother was a very enthusiastic sky watcher. He recently bought a couple of really nice telescopes that he loved to drag out every chance he got. He passed early last year and as the next enthusiastic sky watcher in the family I was allowed to take them. Unfortunately, due to several reasons, they spent the last 17 months ignored (5 months in a garage and 12 months in closets). Some reason I never took the time to drag them out.

Recently, I found the perfect storm of conditions to motivate me to break them out of storage. An evening to myself, a perfectly clear sky and very cool crisp weather. This was 2 weeks ago and the sky fever, thankfully, hasn't worn off yet. I used to have a little refractor that I got for Christmas when I was about 14. I loved that little thing for a while but there was so little I could do with it (at least with the patience of a 14 year old :) ) that it got neglected permanently.

I had been wanting to get a nice dobsonian like a friend of mine has for at least a good 5 years at least but the cost always put me off. Had I known what I've learned in the last couple of weeks I would have realized that I should have just started up again with a smaller, more affordable telescope. Probably wouldn't have wasted the last 5 years pining for that larger scope.

Anyway, now I'm the proud owner of an Orion StarSeeker II 130mm reflector telescope and an 8 inch Orion Skyquest XT8 dobsonian. I've spent the last 2 weeks reading everything I can about them and about star gazing in general. Looking forward to picking some peoples brains here going forward. Maybe I'll even get to help someone else someday who's just starting out :)

Thanks for all the warm welcomes :) I like the atmosphere here. I found this forum while searching for instructions on cleaning the primary mirror on my StarSeeker (which turned out great). After more perusing of the site I noticed a distinct lack of inappropriate conversations and bickering. Sounded like a good place to call home.

Welcome to SGL, Smyrnian. Just a bit south of you in Georgia. You'll learn lots here and will have fun, too!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Reggie

Archived