Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

steppenwolf

A Dusty take on the Pelican Nebula

The Pelican Nebula is one of my favourite objects although it is often overshadowed by its big neighbour, The North America Nebula. The skies didn't play ball with this one so it took several evenings over a protracted period of time to capture any meaningful data. What I particularly wanted to accentuate in this image was the dust. I have always loved the dust apparently 'falling' from the area where M42 and M43 'touch' and was keen to get a similar affect here with this object. Working with just bi-colour data introduced some challenges but in the end, I did get an image that reflected what I was looking for.

The Pelican Nebula is situated to the north-west of the North America Nebula, 2 degrees east south-east of the bright star Deneb in Cygnus. The region is alive with star-birth and evolving gas clouds. As well as the gas and dust, there was another feature that I hoped to probe and that is the Herbig-Haro jets (designated HH-555) emanating from the top of the dust and gas pillar on the 'neck' region of the nebula. These jets indicate the presence of an unseen proto-star and they are indeed visible in this image.

Mount: Mesu 200
Telescope: William optics FLT98
Reducer: William Optics FR IV
Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8
Guiding: SX LodeStar
Filters: Baader 7nm Ha and 8.5mm OIII
Subframes: 20 x 600 sec Ha, 37 x mix of 900 and 1200 sec OIII
Control: CCD Commander
Capture: MaxIm DL
Post-Processing: MaxIm DL and PS3

IC5070_Ha_OIII_dust.png

• Like 38

I love the colours you have here Steve and the dust looks like you could reach out and touch it...... very  nice indeed :)

Dusty and glowing! I like the vibrant colours. Really brings out detail. Thumbs up!

/Jesper

Very impressive Steve. I do like the colours, particularly the orange glow effect around the "head".

Alan

It's all marvellous and what really does it for me is the attention given to the framing so often lacking in images. I also really like the depth of field created by the star field especially at the very top of the image. Excellent.

Lovely! Real dirty looking dust, just the job Steve :)

one of the coolest dusty and rusty old pelicans I have seen! - also nice to see that standard affordable NB filters can still do wonders

Superb rendition of the Pelican Steve. Just love the subtle colours and detail.

Steve

One of the best images i have ever seen,absolutely fantastic.

Wish i knew how you process to such a level.

Mick.

Super. I really like two things. The first is the lighter background which arises from your determination not to clip out the dust. The second is the colour variety in the Pelican's body. This gives a familiar old bird a new freshness.

(I'm a bit of a fan of real pelicans as well. They fly effortlessly and are fascinating when they do a heavyweight impression of a cormorant's folding dive!)

Olly

One of my top three images I have ever seen if you are not contacted for publication I will eat my hat.

Glorious! Bringing the gold colour through the main body was a great move.  Excellent work.  Paddy

Edited by PatrickGilliland

Absolutely gorgeous image, that glowing area is divine and really makes the image come to life. I do wish i knew why they call it the Pelican nebula though i can only see a Pelican if i imagine thats its 3 week old road kill on a busy highway but maybe thats just because of the glorious detail in the image.

I too am really struck by the warm bronze/dusty orange colours you've brought to the data helping give this carcking image a 3-d effect.

I congratulate you Steve and think you've achieved your goal in accentuating the dust - it really does seem to be billowing off the Pelican's neck :happy11:.

Great picture Steve.  looks rather like Lava running down the slopes of Mount Doom in LOTR....

Mt_doon_08.jpg

Thank you for your comments folks. I can see where the volcano concept comes from!

I do wish i knew why they call it the Pelican nebula though i can only see a Pelican if i imagine thats its 3 week old road kill on a busy highway but maybe thats just because of the glorious detail in the image.

How about when it is cropped in to just the head, eye and long beak?

PELICANHEAD.png

Or just to confuse the issue, how about this rabbit?

RABITHEAD.png

errr and hmmm. To be honest i cant even tell which way the Pelican is supposed to be facing. 

PELICANHEAD.pngpelican_overlay.png

• Like 1

WOWEE love the reprocess i have no idea how you pulled out such detail??? It looks just like a Pelican.

i have no idea how you pulled out such detail???

To be honest, and this is strictly between the two of us, I am married to a Pelican and this was a wedding shot.

• Like 9

Lovely image. Though I do think your rabbit looks more like a swan ;)

Stunning image Steve, absolutely stunning. One day I must have a go at this AP, I have a modded camera so it is not as if I spend any money, though i don't think i will ever be in your league.

alan.