Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Dusty take on the Pelican Nebula

steppenwolf

The Pelican Nebula is one of my favourite objects although it is often overshadowed by its big neighbour, The North America Nebula. The skies didn't play ball with this one so it took several evenings over a protracted period of time to capture any meaningful data. What I particularly wanted to accentuate in this image was the dust. I have always loved the dust apparently 'falling' from the area where M42 and M43 'touch' and was keen to get a similar affect here with this object. Working with just bi-colour data introduced some challenges but in the end, I did get an image that reflected what I was looking for.

The Pelican Nebula is situated to the north-west of the North America Nebula, 2 degrees east south-east of the bright star Deneb in Cygnus. The region is alive with star-birth and evolving gas clouds. As well as the gas and dust, there was another feature that I hoped to probe and that is the Herbig-Haro jets (designated HH-555) emanating from the top of the dust and gas pillar on the 'neck' region of the nebula. These jets indicate the presence of an unseen proto-star and they are indeed visible in this image.

Mount: Mesu 200
Telescope: William optics FLT98
Reducer: William Optics FR IV
Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8
Guiding: SX LodeStar
Filters: Baader 7nm Ha and 8.5mm OIII
Subframes: 20 x 600 sec Ha, 37 x mix of 900 and 1200 sec OIII
Control: CCD Commander
Capture: MaxIm DL
Post-Processing: MaxIm DL and PS3

IC5070_Ha_OIII_dust.png

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all marvellous and what really does it for me is the attention given to the framing so often lacking in images. I also really like the depth of field created by the star field especially at the very top of the image. Excellent.

Super. I really like two things. The first is the lighter background which arises from your determination not to clip out the dust. The second is the colour variety in the Pelican's body. This gives a familiar old bird a new freshness.

(I'm a bit of a fan of real pelicans as well. They fly effortlessly and are fascinating when they do a heavyweight impression of a cormorant's folding dive!)

Olly

Absolutely gorgeous image, that glowing area is divine and really makes the image come to life. I do wish i knew why they call it the Pelican nebula though i can only see a Pelican if i imagine thats its 3 week old road kill on a busy highway but maybe thats just because of the glorious detail in the image.

I too am really struck by the warm bronze/dusty orange colours you've brought to the data helping give this carcking image a 3-d effect.

I congratulate you Steve and think you've achieved your goal in accentuating the dust - it really does seem to be billowing off the Pelican's neck :happy11:.

Thank you for your comments folks. I can see where the volcano concept comes from!

I do wish i knew why they call it the Pelican nebula though i can only see a Pelican if i imagine thats its 3 week old road kill on a busy highway but maybe thats just because of the glorious detail in the image.

How about when it is cropped in to just the head, eye and long beak?

PELICANHEAD.png

Or just to confuse the issue, how about this rabbit?

RABITHEAD.png

Archived