Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Very less magnification...

deepind

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Davesellars said:

Perhaps they mean that naked eye it looks star-like? :) 

Bindweed: Where are you in Oxford for using your scope?   The LP outside of the centre is not too bad if you can shield against local LP sources such as lamp-posts etc. Of course if you have neighbours with security lights you're probably doomed. :p  Still.. You don't need to travel far get to a nice dark spot.

We are in East Oxford, so where Mars was last week it was due South so we looked through the 'glow' . We are getting acquainted with Northern and Eastern Sky, The Southern Sky is a bit problematic. Also yes I meant we looked without aid at Mars before looking through the 'scope. I'll endeavour to make my meaning clearer!

I think this graphic is also quite helpful in understanding why planets look small through a scope, even at high magnification. Here the planets are shown at their largest apparent size compared to the Moon. Mars apparent disk gets smaller than Uranus when it's at it's furthest from us and it's on the way towards that now.

plansizes.jpg

18 minutes ago, John said:

I think this graphic is also quite helpful in understanding why planets look small through a scope, even at high magnification. Here the planets are shown at their largest apparent size compared to the Moon. Mars apparent disk gets smaller than Uranus when it's at it's furthest from us and it's on the way towards that now.

plansizes.jpg

I like this John. I think every newbie should have a look at this and realise that through most back yard telescope's, this is the type of visual views you get. Unfortunately the hobby does not get images like Hubble or the cassini orbiter ( then again we do not have multi million pound budgets). This hobby takes a lot of patience and good seeing conditions at times to get the best out of a normal back yard telescope. But the rewards can be very good at times. Be patient and you do at times get a few seconds of great seeing during an observation session that brings great rewards from the hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

I was also disappointed with Mars over the last few days.  Not as disappointed as my 6yo son who is studying Space and Planets for his school "topic" at the moment.  It was a small shimmery splodge.

If you can wake early enough to see Jupiter, it's much more fun to see maybe a hint of stripeyness and little moons nearby.

My scope came with a 10mm eyepiece but I quickly bought a 6mm and a 2x barlow.  Not too expensive really and you can get more magnification.  The moon is fascinating that close up...

Archived